Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took Tucker skiing in the backcountry a few days ago for the second time. He had a bit of trouble as the snow was wet, heavy, and a bit deep. All of his undercarriage was covered in golf ball sized snow balls that probably caused a bit of discomfort. As bad as I feel, I must say it was pretty entertaining.

Has anyone had any luck with snow suits or booties for their golden? Hopefully we wont have conditions like we experienced the other day for a while, but if we do Id like to be prepared.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I XC ski here in Maine quite often and luckily have only experienced those major snowballs a few times. I honestly don't know how you could cover the parts that get the snowballs. My advice would be to turn around and head back to the hearth. If it is just the between the toe stuff I use Musher's Secret to help minimize the snowball formation between the toes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right, it was just too much. Thankfully we didn't get too far. I think its easier for him on the way up as there is usually an established skin-track from previous skiers. However, on the way down he has to follow someones ski-track that is usually less forgiving because its only been skied once, and its usually where the snow is the deepest!

At least this time he did it with a big smile on his face. I guess we'll have to make that call when we get out each time. Im thinking that once its mid-january, it should be cold enough for the snow to be considerably lighter so Tucker can move through it easier and wont have to worry about sticking. I just hate leaving him home when I go out, its such great exercise and we get to hang out.

Look at this thing!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts