Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the site and I have 2 pregnant Goldens, mother and daughter. My question is about where to place the their nesting boxes. I've been told to keep them far apart by a breeder of toy breed dogs but then we took them to the vet yesterday for ultrasounds and the vet said if they are really attached to each other it might be too stressful to have them at opposite ends of the house and it would be okay to put them in the same room. What are your thoughts on this? I don't want anything bad to happen to the babies so this is very concerning to me. Both girls are very gentle loving dogs but not sure what to expect with them both expecting around the same time. :crossfing

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Do you have a mentor? Are these your first litters?

In hindsight, I think you will regret having 2 litters at once, especially if these are your first. You are in for a lot of work, especially as they get older and messier. It can happen that a dam will think a puppy from the other litter is a "threat" and can kill it. It has happened, so don't think it won't happen to you. I would separate them. Also, if they will have their puppies close to the same date, you need a way of identifying them as they grow. Different colors of nail polish in a big spot on their back near the tail is a fool-proof way to do it. You'll need a scale to measure their weight gain and the colors are a good way to identify them by litter but also as they grow.

If you haven't already, please join your local GR club in Ohio. There are a TON of fantastic breeders in the area and I hope that they will be more than willing to assist you. If this is your first litter, you really need to have someone there with you during whelping. There is a lot that can go wrong. Have you see Dr. Hutchinson, the repro vet? That is a MUST. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! My instinct was to keep them in separate areas of the house so thats what I will do. This is my second litter and I have several years of vet tech experience but have not had 2 litters at once so I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I had 2 litters 8 days apart 4 years ago. Their whelping boxes were in the same room... the bitches were 1/2 sisters. Both of my girls had all 4 clearances as recommended by the GRCA plus thyroid clearances. I didn't take breeding both of them at the same time lightly.... and they were bred to like sires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts