Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my sister's house for Christmas as usual. She has a chocolate lab, Kasey who is the most wonderful Lab I have ever met. Whenever I see him, our special greeting includes giving Kasey a belly rub and telling him over and over that he is "the best brown dog". This results in lots and lots of tail wagging and kisses.

This Christmas will be his last. He is 14 years old and walking is a struggle for him. We all took turns going into my sister's bedroom and laying on the floor with him and giving him belly rubs. We also managed to "sneak"some small pieces of beef and turkey to him. It was a great day for Kasey.

The moment that broke my heart was walking in to see my big, strong 18 year old son laying on the floor beside Kasey and crying softly into his fur. He and Kasey have been special friends since my son was 4 years old. Kasey was deliriously happy to have his special boy so close.

I can see the sadness in my sister's and brother-in-law's eyes and I know it won't be too long. I'm going to visit again in a couple of weeks and selfishly pray that Kasey holds on so I can see him one last time.

If you have time, please spare some prayers or good thoughts for my sister, brother-in-law and Kasey as they begin that painful journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

This picture was taken in October :--heart:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
It's so sad when they get older, but what a loved dog. You can see in his eyes that he is one happy and loved boy. Sending prayers his way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That made me cry a little bit :/
It's so hard when they get old
Every time I go through this I promise myself I'm never getting another dog, but I always end up breaking that promise.

Praying for all of you!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Agree with above - it is always so sad to watch them get older and slow down. It's especially hard when you know there may not be much more time left with them.

·
Registered
17,489 Posts
Sending prayers and comforting thoughts to you all, Kasey sounds like the most precious and beautiful pup.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
It is very hard to see their health decline. The photo of Kasey shows a very happy and clearly loved dog. I am so sorry that your family is experiencing this and I am sending thoughts and prayers for Kasey.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Prayers. My sisters dog is in the same condition. He is 14 and can barely walk. He lays on his bed in their bedroom most of the time. It's hard seeing our fur babies get old.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I got teary eyed reading your tribute to Kasey. So sorry you and your family are having to say goodbye. 14 years is a good run, but it's never easy. Thinking of you.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Kasey

I am so very sorry to read about Kasey, Brianne. He sounds like a wonderful dog!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts