Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
No, I don't think the fabric "barrel" chute is OK for a big dog. Strong enough, yeah - but it's a safety issue. There just isn't a good way to stabilize (stakes, sandbages, etc) the fabric chute to make it safe enough for a big dog. Now if you had a maltese it might be a different story.

We got our chute from Affordable Agility:
http://www.affordableagility.com/CHUTES.htm

I think you can get away with the lightweight chute on the regular barrel - which ends up being the same price as a fabric tunnel and lightweight chute. Buy or make the stabilizer though - in addition to sandbagging.

Erica

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the response! Is one stabilizer at the opening good enough or should I get one for each end of the barrel?
The stabilizer helps to keep it from rolling - there are traction strips on one side (bottom) of the barrel - however, you will need additional weight (sandbags, water jugs, etc) to secure the barrel....I have somewhat lighter weights for my tunnels and chute (mostly because I'd rather make two trips than hurt myself before my dog even comes out to play) so I use a total of four bags on the chute in addition to the square stabilizer...
Erica

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.