Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive chute that will hold up for practicing with a golden. Kayla is still not comfortable with the chute so I want to practice more at home. I have used sheets to practice with her and she is ok with that, but it is not translating to the chute in class. Is the one with a fabric barrel portion strong enough?

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
No, I don't think the fabric "barrel" chute is OK for a big dog. Strong enough, yeah - but it's a safety issue. There just isn't a good way to stabilize (stakes, sandbages, etc) the fabric chute to make it safe enough for a big dog. Now if you had a maltese it might be a different story.

We got our chute from Affordable Agility:
http://www.affordableagility.com/CHUTES.htm

I think you can get away with the lightweight chute on the regular barrel - which ends up being the same price as a fabric tunnel and lightweight chute. Buy or make the stabilizer though - in addition to sandbagging.

Erica

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Is one stabilizer at the opening good enough or should I get one for each end of the barrel?

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Thanks for the response! Is one stabilizer at the opening good enough or should I get one for each end of the barrel?
The stabilizer helps to keep it from rolling - there are traction strips on one side (bottom) of the barrel - however, you will need additional weight (sandbags, water jugs, etc) to secure the barrel....I have somewhat lighter weights for my tunnels and chute (mostly because I'd rather make two trips than hurt myself before my dog even comes out to play) so I use a total of four bags on the chute in addition to the square stabilizer...
Erica

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't understand and wouldn't pay for the "stabilizer" - it's just a square made out of PVC. I'd try to figure out some sort of strap with stakes on each end (plus sandbags or whatever). The problem I've had a lot is that the dog runs in and just takes the whole thing with him, which the stabilizer (which I guess prevents rolling side-to-side) isn't going to help. Also make sure the actual fabric chute is attached really well to the barrel, otherwise the dog could pull it off of the barrel and get tangled.

I used to have a 2' piece of tunnel that had built-in places for stakes (you could also use a normal tunnel brace, that stakes down and then has places to bungee around the tunnel). And then the chute attached to that. Once I figured out how to rig it so the chute was really securely attached, it worked pretty well. I think it was from Ebay though so I don't know where you'd get something similar.

Be really careful. Neither of my dogs could care less about getting tangled in a chute or anything, but it's the last thing you need with a dog who's already having problems. If there's a nice solid chute at wherever you take class, you might want to ask about just coming early or staying late to work on it. It's convenient to have a helper anyways.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Be really careful. Neither of my dogs could care less about getting tangled in a chute or anything, but it's the last thing you need with a dog who's already having problems. If there's a nice solid chute at wherever you take class, you might want to ask about just coming early or staying late to work on it. It's convenient to have a helper anyways.
This is a VERY important point. The last thing you need is a low quality chute coming apart, rolling, or moving and getting your pup tangled up in it. I agree with seeing if you can stay late or come early.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a VERY important point. The last thing you need is a low quality chute coming apart, rolling, or moving and getting your pup tangled up in it. I agree with seeing if you can stay late or come early.
Definitely the last thing I want is for her to become more afraid of the chute because I screw up and don't secure it properly. I guess I'll see if I can get more practice time on the one at her class before I try to venture out on my own. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts