Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kristina
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am fascinated in all I have learned over the past day from these boards. I started by asking a question about raw diets, trying to gather information, and am learning so much- thanks for that!

Question on the kibble side: is there a reason why you might choose PPP sport 26/16 over Science Diet large breed? Our pup is 10 months and been on SD large breed 1+ since 6 months (prev. SD large breed puppy). Our vet won't recommend a brand- just says that it should be grain inclusive and meet AAFCO. We want the best for our pup and it seems like most of you use PPP.

Thanks in advance!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,423 Posts
That statement from your vet is like said you should eat food, not plastic. All dog food sold over the counter must meet AAFCO requirements. I think all states use this as a governing thing to be able to register and sell a food in a particular state. Usually the ones that may not would be prescribed.

Honestly both are fairly equal. Really just splitting hairs when you come down to it Unless you're talking about the PP SSS which eliminates certain things that are common issues with sensitive dogs like corn and soy. I don't believe soy should be in any dog food but corn is very good as long as there are no sensitivities with it.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
My general rule is, if you are feeding a healthy food and your dog is thriving (good energy, nice coat, bright eyes), then don't change anything.

PP SSS (salmon based) works really well for my dog - but it might not work as great with yours. So if it's not broken, don't fix! :smile2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts