Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we aren't supposed to run with our dogs til they're adults, but I was wondering what speed would fall into the category of running.

Say, if you're at a power walking speed, would that still be too much for a puppy to handle? So far Nana gets slow walks in the AM and PM and I let her go wild at the gated park in my apartment complex every other day or so. (Don't worry, she's the only dog and I spend the time chasing her around/being chased by her) If I don't take her to the park, I feel like she doesn't really burn that much energy from walks, and it just isn't possible to take her to the park every day. We walk 45 minutes in the AM and 30 at night, and regardless of park trip or not she gets put to bed at 10. On the days when she doesn't go to the park, she is definitely much more difficult to handle!

How fast would I have to be walking/powerwalking/jogging to possibly injure her?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would definitely not power walk with a 4 month old puppy. I believe it's not the speed that is a concern for injury but rather the repetitive movement over a prolonged period of time. When a puppy plays in open space it's movements are varied - they walk, jog, run, roll, jump, tumble, lie down, sit - lots of different movements. When you put a puppy on leash and walk (at whatever speed) they are repeating the same movement over and over again, that is what I believe puts a strain on their joints and increases the risk of injury or damage. Up until a year old Molly was taken on lots of off-leash walks at a leisurely pace, we'd stop often along route so that she could rest if she wanted to and there was plenty of opportunity for her to change pace.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby was well over a year old when I started her on longer high powered walks. I agree with the others, too. I have to add that is the cutest pic of your girl!

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
I would definitely not power walk with a 4 month old puppy. I believe it's not the speed that is a concern for injury but rather the repetitive movement over a prolonged period of time. When a puppy plays in open space it's movements are varied - they walk, jog, run, roll, jump, tumble, lie down, sit - lots of different movements. When you put a puppy on leash and walk (at whatever speed) they are repeating the same movement over and over again, that is what I believe puts a strain on their joints and increases the risk of injury or damage. Up until a year old Molly was taken on lots of off-leash walks at a leisurely pace, we'd stop often along route so that she could rest if she wanted to and there was plenty of opportunity for her to change pace.
Yes, this is the problem, but also the repetitive movement on hard pavement impacts the joints and bones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts