Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all haven’t been on here in awhile. Bonnie has been banned from anything stuffed as she has finally formed the habit of ripping them instead of grooming them and treating them like her babies.
Problem is things like nylabone she chews so hard pieces are coming off. So I have to take them away. We even tried the round ring nylabone people on here have talked about.
What’s a good chew toy for a power chewer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’m having the same issues as you are! I Feel horrible as Aidan LOVES toys, especially the stuffed ones! I’ve had funerals these past several months for probably $100 worth of “durable“ stuffed animals...Huddle Hound pig and moo cow being the most recent. Benebones last the longest, but we have to replace them often. He also destroys rope toys and anything plastic. I’m terrified of him having to have surgery from swallowing something bad, so I’ve tossed out everything but a few bones. The kongs are only fun to him if they are stuffed with food, but if you make it harder to get the food out, he just gives up and I have to push it out with a chop stick or something.

·
Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
I hope other members can make suggestions for you. Honey will over time (years) unstuff a toy but I keep all the carcasses for her. She loves tog of war with flat toys. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
My solution to this: I will give a stuffed toy but watch the whole time the dog has it. Then I take the stuffed toy back when I decide "stuffed toy playtime" is over. The truth is I do not like giving stuffed toys. All of my dogs destroyed stuffed toys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do the same as gdgli—I get the clearance stuffed toys and play tug/fetch but put them away. It’s funny any toy that stays outside does not get chewed up! I do lots of benebones, pet stages wood chews (cheaper and they do last) and lots of No Hides though they are pricy I get them on Amazon. I don’t do bully sticks or antlers (yet) although I bet they’d last and he’d love them. He is 9 months old and chewing up everything 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
I do the same as gdgli—I get the clearance stuffed toys and play tug/fetch but put them away. It’s funny any toy that stays outside does not get chewed up! I do lots of benebones, pet stages wood chews (cheaper and they do last) and lots of No Hides though they are pricy I get them on Amazon. I don’t do bully sticks or antlers (yet) although I bet they’d last and he’d love them. He is 9 months old and chewing up everything 😂
I do like Bully Sticks, I am on autoship.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My solution to this: I will give a stuffed toy but watch the whole time the dog has it. Then I take the stuffed toy back when I decide "stuffed toy playtime" is over. The truth is I do not like giving stuffed toys. All of my dogs destroyed stuffed toys.
I do the same, supervised play with stuffed toys. It is so strange, but the one thing she does not destroy is braided fleece tugs. I make them and she will play with them until they get so dirty I throw them out. Very cheap entertainment :)
Jules

·
Registered
567 Posts
We didn’t unstuff toys until she went through her first heat. And now we don’t have stuffed toys. We have earth animal no hide, balls, and benebones. I’m adding a puppy in three weeks and will see how she does with stuffed toys but it will have to be in solo/with me “play time” because her big sister will destroy it.

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Raw marrow bones are super strong, there also is a subscription service for power chewers...one is called the power chewer box by "bullymake" and the other is super chewer by bark box.

·
Bailey’s Mom
24 Posts
Bailey is going to be a year old next week. He destroys every stuffed toy within minutes. I have recently done what many of you are doing - supervised play and then take them away. I am constantly looking for tough toys for him. He will chew kong’s and stuffed marrow bones that I make. He loves bully sticks but they seem to cause loose bowels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts