Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are owned by two goldens around 8 years old each. Miles is a wonderful dog. He listens and goes out the doggy doors and is just all around a great boy. We are having a big problem with Buddy. He has been going potty in the house for the last couple of years. Every time we leave for a few hours we come back and there is #1 and #2 on our carpet or tile floors. We thought at first that if we don't let him see us leave that he won't go in the house. That didn't work. We know that if he sees a piece of luggage come out of the closet we already know that Buddy will go potty in the house. We leave the doggy doors open but he just refuses to go out them. Also we are having trouble with him in the middle of the night. He wakes us up several times to go outside. Then when he is ready to come back inside he bangs his nose on the door and then he starts barking if we don't let him back in. What do you all suggest we do. Do you think this is a behavioral issue and if it is or isn't how do we change it. Buddy was a great dog for the last 5 or years. We love him very much and want to fix it now.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't believe that dogs pee or poop in the house out of vengence. Barring any medical issues I would just revert back to basic house training. Take him out on a leash every time and praise him to high heaven when he poops or pees outside. It will be a pain but I'm sure he will get it and love the praise.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, I agree with Oaklys Dad. I would not rely on the doggy door. Try to re-establish a schedule. For example, my dogs go potty at 6A every morning. Then I feed them, then we relax in the house for 30 minutes. After that we get ready to go for our walk. Before we leave for the walk, I take them out in the back again and say "go potty". We are not leaving for the walk until that is done. Then we walk.

My daughter and son are in college and live at home. They take our dogs out during the day. It is something we think about - what is your schedule - who is going to be around - the dogs have to go out at this time . . . .

We have an area that is filled with wood chips where the dogs go potty. If that area is not clean, they will not go. So that is something to keep in mind. You will want to pick it up every day. My male will hold it for hours if it is not clean. That could be part of the problem with Buddy. He has to go - maybe he gets out there and cannot go - so he wants to come back in. My male is easily distracted. Sometimes just when I think he is about to go, something gets his attention. So, it will take some patience. The point is, you are going to have to be consistent and be able to confirm that Buddy does his business.

If Buddy has been going on the carpet, it may be a good idea to remove everything down to the wood and get the smell out. If you cannot do that now, you may want to put up baby gates. You don't really have to connect them to the wood or walls. I have three plastic baby gates. We keep them off to the side. If we need to block off a room for whatever reason, we just lean them against the doorway. For example, I am bringing in groceries. I don't need to be tripping over three dogs as I put things away. The gates go up. They wait in the family room. End of problem. My dogs stay away from the gates.

Your life is going to get a lot better, once you get back on track.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
You said he's been doing this for a couple of years now, so it's become a habit. You need to get a really good odor eliminator and clean all the areas that he routinely potties in, in the house and get them as clean as possible.

If he is not supervised he needs to be crated or gated in small area. He should not be left with free access in the house until he changes this habit, especially when you are not home.

Go back to basics with him with housetraining, set a schedule that gets him out before he needs to go, take him out on a regular basis and give the command to go potty, don't bring him in until he goes. If he isn't going on that try, take him back in and confine him then try again in 10 or 15 minutes.

It sounds like a lot of work, but if you want to stop the accidents you have to go back and train him as if he is a puppy again. I have to do this with a lot of adult foster dogs, it does work, it just takes patience and consistent effort.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with the others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts