Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dalton is settling in pretty nicely after a week and a half. The good news is that he's starting to get the hang of potty training. He has had only a handful of accidents, and none in the last few days. He's starting to whine and go to the door when he needs to go, so I'm thrilled with that progress. He's also sleeping through the night and is a little love bug.

BUT, he's a biting maniac a couple of times a day, usually when my 3 year old is home from preschool. He bites and chews on everything in sight. We've tried the freezing in place and ignoring him, doesn't work, he just latches on and keeps chewing. We've tried the "uh uh" to no avail. We redirect with a toy and then praise whenever possible, but he doesn't seem to be getting much better. He's ok when alone with me--not perfect, but ok. But he's a holy terror in the early morning and early evening. I'm considering a spray bottle. Thoughts on that? Do we just need to give it more time? (We've only had him a week and a half, and he's approx three months old). Thanks for any advice, and here's a new picture of the pup. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Payton is just under 4 months and she's the same way with biting. The squirt bottle didn't work for her, she just thought it was something to play with especially since Golden's love water. I've tried the ignoring, "being a tree", Uh-oh, leave it, redirecting with toys, and everything else. Nothing works unless we tell her to go to her room (kennel) and make her stay in there for 5-10 minutes. When we let her out she goes over to whoever she was biting (usually me) and gives me lots of kisses! I know she'll grow out of this, I just wish it was sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BTW - Dalton is so very cute!! Dalton is also my son's name - how funny. I'll have to tell him when he gets out of school.

·
Registered
643 Posts
First, does the puppy need to go potty? That's one of the ways Josie tells me she needs to go out. She comes over and starts mouthing me and pulling on my clothes. If I don't respond, she'll start biting harder until I pay attention. (Just whine at the door, dog, no need to bit my hand off!)
But, if that's not the issue, then here's what's working for me: Let out a high pitched "Ouch", leave the room, and count to 30. Then walk back in the room and ignore the puppy, just do whatever you were doing before. If Josie keeps biting me (more like attacking these days), I give her a time out in the crate. Half the time she's cranky because she needs a nap, so she just falls asleep. She's always better after time in the crate, even if its just 5 minutes.
I know when my kids get home from school, its chaos. I know Josie feels it, and she often acts up then. My kids are like "Why isn't she happy to see us?". She just gets overwhelmed by the energy level. After a little while, she adjusts, and gets right in the middle of things. One of the best pieces of advice I got from her breeder was to crate her from 5-7 pm. When you are trying to get dinner, baths, homework, etc the energy level just gets to be too much and the puppy gets crazy.
Josie was such a terrible biter at that age! She still has her moments (as I look at the bandaids on my hands and the holes in my sleeve), but its definately better. You'll get there sooner than you think!:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
All puppies will bite until you fix it. I just pull my hand out and say no as I clap my hands to startle Hank. He is doing pretty good, he seems to mouth now, it's a sign of affection. When he holds on to my hand, I'll say, OK, lets go for a walk...Spray bottles are useless if you ask me, I find the best way is to startle them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is exactly the problems I'm having with my puppy Asha! Asha is only 8 weeks old, however, but has got potty training down to a fine science. She hasn't had any accidents in a few days and sits at the door whining to go out. We sometimes leave the door open and she'll wander out, do her buisness and then come back in! She's so good!
Apart from when she bites. She won't stop biting. I sometimes put my hand around her jaws and growl at her, but this only stops her for a moment. The biting is only on human skin, however, she's fine not biting on things she shouldn't. I don't see that crating her helps because she just plays or goes to sleep and doesnt see it as much of a punishment! But when we make a big fuss outside of the crate and ignore her whining to join us, she hates it. I dont do that often, though, because I feel so bad!!
[QUOTE]I just pull my hand out and say no as I clap my hands to startle Hank.[/QUOTE]
I will try this but Asha just thinks of it as a game most of the time. Ahhh - she's lying on the carpet fast asleep now...such a little angel she looks. Why can't she be like that all the time!?!

Attachments

·
Returning Member
18 Posts
As I look at the random bloody scratches and puncture wounds on my hands and forearms that resulted from a nail-trimming session, I assure you that I feel your pain. Bella (at 10 weeks) is HORRIBLE when it comes to biting. "Eh-eh" hasn't worked. Sticking a toy in her mouth hasn't worked. Redirecting her hasn't worked. "Yipping" high and loud hasn't worked. Attempting to be the dominant dog with a quick growl (low and sharp) hasn't worked. Wrapping my hand around her muzzle with a quick reprimand hasn't worked. Scaring her doesn't work, and ignoring her hasn't worked. She absolutely cannot stop biting... at least, not yet.

I came across this link: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Training-3333/Puggle-play-biting.htm today while looking for help. It makes a lot of sense. Sounds like you and I have "TURBO" pups that (a) need to be worn out, or (b) *are* worn out.

I feel bad because my patience gets so thin with her, especially when she's attacking my poor sons and they can't enjoy her. My boys were so excited to get a puppy and they can't bond with her because she attacks them (to play) every time they come within 20 feet of her. I even tried smearing peanut butter on the floor for her to lick while I trimmed her nails today. It lasted for 2-3 toes before she got more interested in my hands. Sooo frustrating!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Once again, you are not alone, not a single one of us are alone in this adventure. Finn is the exact same way, all the previous attempts at curbing this behaviour has failed. I definately attribute it to being over tired like a toddler.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Im in the same boat. My girl is so good about potty time. She barks at the door when she has to go and can last up to 5 hours at night at only 12 weeks. But she is a biter. Shes best with me but with other people shes sometimes out of control. Now shes starting to go after furniture and other things.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It does get better! Our Scout is 6 months old and I remember those early days so well! I thought he would never get better with the biting but slowly it does get better. I would say around 4 months we started to see some improvement (when he puppy teeth started falling out) and now that he has all his adult teeth in he is much more content to chew on his nylabone than our hands (although he still has his moments sometimes!).

I can sympathize with those of you that have little kids. Our son is 18 months old now and it was VERY hard in the beginning. I basically had to keep them separated most of the time. But now they love to play together and Scout is very good with our son and never gets mouthy with him. We made it very clear from the get-go that that behavior was unacceptable. Scout just seems to know that he needs to be gentle with him.

Some tips that helped was freezing wet washclothes for them to chew on, freezing kongs with peanut butter in them, having lots of plush toys for him to chew on. The number one thing that I think really helped get through this stage was starting puppy classes. They tired him out and we learned a lot.

But I was at my witts end with Scout a few short months ago wondering what we had gotten ourselves into but he is turning into a great dog - as I'm sure all of yours will too! Now if we can just get through adolescence...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts