Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopper is about four and a half months old and we are really struggling with potty training. She sleeps her crate at night and can hold it without any accidents overnight up to 8 hours. When she is out of her crate, there is simply no rhyme or reason as to when she needs to go. She always goes pee and usually goes poop in the morning after getting out of the crate. After that all bets are off. At the moment, I set an alarm for every hour. I take her outside. We stand around for 10 minutes. If she does not go, she goes in her crate for 20 minutes and we try again. If she does, she is allowed out to play until the alarm goes off again. This was what was recommended by our puppy training class instructor. It does not seem to be helping. Problem is, she will sometimes pee again after 20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. I do not understand why she needs to go again that quickly. According to the vet, there is no infection and she is able to hold it in her crate. When she pees, there is no sniffing around or other warning, she can be chasing her ball I threw and literally squat and pee on her way to go get it. I use a special treat when she goes outside and giver her all kinds of praise too. I feel like I am in potty prison, when she is out of the crate, I cannot take my eyes off her for a second and even then she has accidents as I watch. I am at a loss as to what to do. She is a very quick learner, but cannot seem to grasp potty training. Any advice? Will she just suddenly get it some day? Am I doing something wrong? Help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure there really is any rhyme or reason. From 4-5 months, my current boy was fully capable of holding it until his next trip outside and sometimes seemed to just choose otherwise. I know there are arguments against it, but next time I'm going to use a pen with wee pads when the pup is not in the crate. While it may prolong the process, it's sure to save what little carpet I have left.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine was like that until six months at which point it was like he learned the rules all of a sudden, and he stopped having accidents.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sometimes they are slow to 'get it'! But I will ask a couple of questions...

Do you take the pup to the same place in the yard to pee and pooh? The smell stimulates them to go... also do you go out the same entrance every time?

We have a 12wk old guy right now. We do not let him off lead and/or out of his crate unless we are watching him play or we are training with him. Until we are sure that he knows to go to the door and/or bark he will be tightly controlled. He is sleep through the night now and he pee's and pooh's almost within a minute or two when we take him out. And he is starting to bark and move towards the door when he wants out. He gets a piece of kibble as a reinforcement when he gets it correct....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hopper is about four and a half months old and we are really struggling with potty training. She sleeps her crate at night and can hold it without any accidents overnight up to 8 hours. When she is out of her crate, there is simply no rhyme or reason as to when she needs to go. She always goes pee and usually goes poop in the morning after getting out of the crate. After that all bets are off. At the moment, I set an alarm for every hour. I take her outside. We stand around for 10 minutes. If she does not go, she goes in her crate for 20 minutes and we try again. If she does, she is allowed out to play until the alarm goes off again. This was what was recommended by our puppy training class instructor. It does not seem to be helping. Problem is, she will sometimes pee again after 20 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. I do not understand why she needs to go again that quickly. According to the vet, there is no infection and she is able to hold it in her crate. When she pees, there is no sniffing around or other warning, she can be chasing her ball I threw and literally squat and pee on her way to go get it. I use a special treat when she goes outside and giver her all kinds of praise too. I feel like I am in potty prison, when she is out of the crate, I cannot take my eyes off her for a second and even then she has accidents as I watch. I am at a loss as to what to do. She is a very quick learner, but cannot seem to grasp potty training. Any advice? Will she just suddenly get it some day? Am I doing something wrong? Help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just got our golden pup two weeks ago and she is 8 weeks old now.
she too goes every 20 minutes. It seems all
I do is wash towels and throw rugs where she pees on them. We have put a bell on the door where we take her out of and ring it when we take her out to get her used to having to ring it when she has to go.
She poos within 20 minutes or eating and we have limited her water intake to meal times and other controlled times throughOut the day. It hasn’t seemed to help. We use a crate and when we can’t watch her we put her in it
She also has a small two by two playpen with a plastic bottom liner she plays in during her “out” time from the crate. Pen is on living room where she can see us but is still contained
There doesn’t seem to be any Rhyme or reason to her madness. Of wanting to pee on the rug in front of the door without warning of any kind.
we have a 5 year old
Lab who picked up potty training very quickly so were a bit confused why she s not “getting it”
When we’re doing all the same things we did with our other pup
Is she just too young to learn????
Any suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you taking her out every 20 minutes? If that is the shortest frequency, then you need to beat that by say 1-2 minutes for now. 8 weeks is too young to expect differently
Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do is wash towels and throw rugs where she pees on them. We have put a bell on the door where we take her out of and ring it when we take her out to get her used to having to ring it when she has to go.
She poos within 20 minutes or eating and we have limited her water intake to meal times and other controlled times throughOut the day. It hasn’t seemed to help. We use a crate and when we can’t watch her we put her in it
She also has a small two by two playpen with a plastic bottom liner she plays in during her “out” time from the crate. Pen is on living room where she can see us but is still contained
There doesn’t seem to be any Rhyme or reason to her madness. Of wanting to pee on the rug in front of the door without warning of any kind.
we have a 5 year old
Lab who picked up potty training very quickly so were a bit confused why she s not “getting it”
You shouldn’t be getting a puppy before 8 weeks old for a variety of reasons. Right now, yeah, she is probably too young. Sage started to understand the bell around the time she turned 9 weeks, but as we’ve progressed through the week, she’s still having some accidents. Their bodies produce a dumbfounding amount of waste for their size, just keep an eye on her and give her LOTS of praise and rewards when she does the right thing, she’ll get the hang of it soon!?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I forgot to mention, have you had the pup checked for a bladder infection...this also can mess up your training efforts. Are you using a crate to train the dog? If not or if you do not know how to crate train, do some research, it works real well...if you do it correctly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot to mention, have you had the pup checked for a bladder infection...this also can mess up your training efforts. Are you using a crate to train the dog? If not or if you do not know how to crate train, do some research, it works real well...if you do it correctly!
Yes. She's been to the vet for her first puppy visit. Going back in 2 weeks for her second round of shots and check up. She doesn't have a bladder infection so we can rule that out. We do use a crate but not for punishment. She is crated at night and when we are out but never longer than 2-2.5 hours during waking hours of the day. I recently noticed a scent on her fur that i thought was urine from where she went in the crate but checked the crate and blanket but she had not gone in the crate. However, I washed the bedding and put back in the crate. She does not go in the crate. even at night . she will bark or cry if she needs out and i take her out. Her crate is in our bedroom so i can easily hear her. I've crate trained two other pups but they were labrador retrievers. We've never had a golden but i assume, being a retriever, that the characteristics are similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You shouldn’t be getting a puppy before 8 weeks old for a variety of reasons. Right now, yeah, she is probably too young. Sage started to understand the bell around the time she turned 9 weeks, but as we’ve progressed through the week, she’s still having some accidents. Their bodies produce a dumbfounding amount of waste for their size, just keep an eye on her and give her LOTS of praise and rewards when she does the right thing, she’ll get the hang of it soon!?
how was Sage when you got her.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Let me just go back and make a few comments. I have a 12 week old puppy we have been training. He now sleeps through the night. During the day he is either connected to me or my wife using a 6' lead or in the crate, which we keep in an area during the day where he can see us and still be part of the pack. He has never pee'd or messed in his crate. When on lead, he either gets nervous, pulling on the lead, or even barks...that says, I need to go. In time this will transition to running to the door and barking if necessary to get our attention.

My experience tells me that if the pup it either in the crate or on lead, he will learn quickly not to go in the house....provided you pay attention! If he messes while on lead you can yell at him NO and take him out to his designated potty spot outside, and of course using the same door we always use for him.

If you are consistently doing all of this, you should see progress. I will say that our last Golden took a long time to figure it out. She also seemed slow at initial obedience. We took her to a couple of trainers we no and asked they to evaluated her. Both came back saying she appeared to be a bit immature, as she got what she was supposed to do, but lost interest fairly quickly. They said continue working with her for 60 days and then bring her back.

That is exactly what we did and they were absolutely correct. She is now one of the top dogs.... we have owned as far as training and performance.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
we have a 5 year old
Yes she's too young to expect anything from her. They have no understanding or bladder control. It is all on you to have her out every 20 minutes when she is awake. I would also be careful of being too restrictive of water except at bedtime just to avoid bladder infections or any weird obsessions with water. Hang in, she'll get there, it just takes time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try deep cleaning the carpets. I had a male that would just stop and go for no reason. I used a good carpet machine in the area and he stopped. Coincidence? Maybe, but worth a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts