Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New Golden mom here! Our Honey is 4 months old, and we are still having significant problems with potty training. My husband and I live in an apartment, and at first things were going really well...she would go to the door and whine when she wanted to go outside, even though it was every 20 minutes.
She then had a UTI and had many accidents in the house, after just a few days of antibiotics, she was already feeling better. She has also had two deep tissue infections on her belly, and is now on antibiotics for the second one.
About a week and a half ago, she stopped telling us when she needed to go outside, and just started peeing on the floor, all over the apartment. In the past when things were going well, she would occasionally have an accident, but she would always just go right by the door.
We are frustrated, because she holds it like a champ every night (she sleeps in the bathroom), and doesn't make a fuss until we get her to go out in the morning. If we are gone during the day and she is in the bathroom, she does't go at all, but waits for us to come home. But when we are at home with her and she is out, she will pee on the floor every 20 minutes unless I constantly take her out!
Could it have something to do with her infections?
Any advice would be great! THANK YOU!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would take her to the vet and get her checked.

She is still a baby at four months and you need to watch her like a hawk, take her out every 20 minutes if that is what she needs and if you cannot watch her, crate her, tether her to you or baby gate her in the room with you. Puppies are not reliable in house training until about 7 months, sometimes a little sooner.

She has too much freedom and too much freedom too soon allows puppies and young dogs to create bad habits, like peeing on the floor, chewing, digging, etc. You have to be on top of puppies, like babies and toddlers, to teach them what you want and guide them in the right direction; this does not happen on it's own.

Puppies hold it at night and when crated because they are not moving around. Just like humans.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i had a similar issue with my Hudson. he is 6 months now. at about 3.5 or 4 months we got a bad bag of treats and he was ill for almost two weeks where he couldn't hold it. poor guy! up until then he was doing pretty well with his training and would go to the back door and hold it overnight. after the bad treats he just lost all recognition of the training. I had to start everything over. and yes... diligence with taking him out every twenty minutes or change in activity was key. stop playing, outside. eat dinner, outside. wake up from a nap, outside. it took longer to retrain him than it did the initial. because the house now smells of pee (it does to her even if you can't smell it) its harder to get it in her head that its not ok to pee here even though it smells like a pee spot. rewards outside when you get her to go, I always name it something. I teach them to go behind my garage which is "all the way" and the poop/pee command is "hurry up" because I don't want to be the guy telling his dog to pee during a stop on the side of the road lol

basically it was a lot of work, a lot of messes to clean and some devotion to keeping things consistent so that they don't have the chance to go in the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts