Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Potty Training issues on soft material

755 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cwag 
#1 ·
Hey everyone - Just wanted to see if anyone has any advice when it comes to our specific potty training issue. Our 9 week old puppy seems to love to pee on anything fabric- rugs, bed, carpet, blankets, etc. but does not have accidents on the hardwood or tile. We take him out very frequently and even right after he goes potty outside, he will come back inside and pee on something soft. It makes no sense and we aren't sure how to associate the carpeted areas as a no-potty zone. We are obviously restricting his access to the soft areas/minimizing them and are using leash indoors to train but would like any advice if anyone has any! We obviously cannot re-do our floors on the entire upper level to accommodate him, ha. Thanks in advance :)

#2 ·
Just a guess but he may like peeing on soft surfaces because the pee soaks in and he doesn’t have to sit in it. Soft surfaces are also harder to clean and may still smell of pee even after your attempts to clean. My puppies were all rarely, if ever, on soft indoor surfaces until they were well on their way to housebroken. I’d say management is the key here... don’t give him access to soft surfaces, take him out frequently and make a big deal out of it when he pees outside. Access to soft surfaces will be “earned” as he becomes more reliable indoors.

Reactions: bwtxmi
#3 ·
When I have a new puppy, I use a crate and baby gates to entirely restrict the puppy to my kitchen area so I can always see him and I take up all the throw rugs so it's just hard floor. It's much easier to properly clean an accident off hard flooring. We have an open floor plan so I also use an exercise pen to help block off the opening. I set up my lap top in the kitchen and pretty much spend all my free time in the kitchen with the puppy.

Set a timer to remind yourself to take him outdoors every 20-30 minutes and keep a sharp eye out for signs like sniffying and circling that indicate he's looking for a potty spot. This is a process of consistency and many weeks and if you give too much freedom too soon you will cause yourself a big problem. If you stick to the process he will learn that potty is outdoors and not on carpets. Give treats and throw a party praising him when he potties outdoors. If you're not making a fool out ofyourself, you're not praising enough.

It takes a couple of months till the puppy is reliable for hours at a time before I would allow free run of any carpeted area. There are a ton of threads on this subject, use the search feature to find them. Use enzyme cleaner to fully clean any soiled areas because he will still be able to smell them and will return to them. At this point, if your puppy is having more than one accident a day in the house,it's because you're not managing him properly.

#4 ·
When I have a new puppy, I use a crate and baby gates to entirely restrict the puppy to my kitchen area so I can always see him and I take up all the throw rugs so it's just hard floor. It's much easier to properly clean an accident off hard flooring. We have an open floor plan so I also use an exercise pen to help block off the opening. I set up my lap top in the kitchen and pretty much spend all my free time in the kitchen with the puppy.

Set a timer to remind yourself to take him outdoors every 20-30 minutes and keep a sharp eye out for signs like sniffying and circling that indicate he's looking for a potty spot. This is a process of consistency and many weeks and if you give too much freedom too soon you will cause yourself a big problem. If you stick to the process he will learn that potty is outdoors and not on carpets. Give treats and throw a party praising him when he potties outdoors. If you're not making a fool out ofyourself, you're not praising enough.

It takes a couple of months till the puppy is reliable for hours at a time before I would allow free run of any carpeted area. There are a ton of threads on this subject, use the search feature to find them. Use enzyme cleaner to fully clean any soiled areas because he will still be able to smell them and will return to them. At this point, if your puppy is having more than one accident a day in the house,it's because you're not managing him properly.
Yes, we are already doing all of the above. We are crate training, do not allow him upstairs/on carpet, rolled up our rugs, and we take him outside every 20-30 minutes if not sooner depending on his water intake. The issue isn't potty training in general, the issue is that he seems to want/desire to pee on fabric like it's something he plans. For example, he will relieve himself outdoors and the second he comes inside, if a blanket fell on the ground, he's peeing on it; or he darts to the stairs (they're blocked off). He has never had an accident on hardwood/tile. I'm worried that never allowing him on the carpet will mean once he is somewhat grasping potty training, and we introduce him to other rooms/areas that are carpeted, all of what he learned will be out the window.

Yes, we always use enzyme cleaners - specifically Nature's Miracle enzymatic formula.

#5 ·
"I'm worried that never allowing him on the carpet will mean once he is somewhat grasping potty training, and we introduce him to other rooms/areas that are carpeted, all of what he learned will be out the window."

This is not a concern. You are house training the pup now. Not allowing him access to carpeted areas, soft surfaces (like beds, blankets, towels) or other places where he can have accidents is key - and once he is trained (and I mean solidly trained, like at 7-10 months old) he is not going to regress and suddenly start peeing on all those surfaces. Right now, you have to not let him do it so that he doesn't learn that this is okay. The only place he should be learning that it is GOOD to go to the bathroom is outside. So make sure there are no blankets on the floor, there is no access to carpets, or throw rugs, or beds or couches, and watch him like a hawk. Throw parties when he goes to the bathroom outside, and just pick him up and bring him outside when he starts to pee inside. Interrupt him - don't yell or punish - bring him outside and praise him hugely when he finishes outside. It takes time and patience - and restricted access .

#6 ·
At 9 weeks old he has very little control over his bladder. I would just continue teaching him to go outside and eliminating the potential to go on any soft surfaces. He doesn't need a blanket. It's doubtful that he will continue to pee on soft surfaces once he has the idea of going out. It doesn't sound like you are using pee pads which I think can be confusing. Keep on and give him time to learn. He's still like a newborn baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.