Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys here is the situation. We got a 17 week old puppy. At our apartment where our dog lives until school is over, he doesnt have accidents. He is in a small room for a while (but he roams around and plays with his toys) then we let him in the living room when we are there. A few accidents in the living room in a weeks time but not many.
Well i go back to my parents house, and its like he has no bladder control. The difference is we let him loose in the kitchen, hallways and family room. Its a lot more space for him to roam around which he likes a lot. The thing i notice now is he never naps anymore and is always awake trying to chew or play or walking around. He has to pee a lot more times now at the house. For instance, I took him out an hour ago, then an hour and a half later he tinkles all over the place. I notice one thing though, since he is more active he keeps drinking water in and out. He also poops inside (but this is only if he doesnt want to hold it ) but before if he would whine and cry and now he will just do it inside at this house.

Can someone help me out here? Do i need to change his scheduling at this house? If i do could someone right me an example schedule?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Too much freedom too fast...he likes the extra room, but if you can't supervise him, you need to limit his freedom. Do a quick search on the forum for crate training, pups are less likely to eliminate in a space where they have to sit/lay. Also, I'd put your pup on a schedule, set a timer if you need to. If an hour is too long, try taking him out every (EVERY) 45 mins and work from there. It doesn't sound like a UTI, but you can take in a fresh urine sample for the vet to check.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we actually do use the crate but its not working well because we like him to be with us, he the kitchen is right next to the family room, so its not like is completely out of our sight.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You need to put him on a schedule. My schedule is outside after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping. And when playing about every 15 minutes. And as time goes on I increased the time during wake times.
I have a foster dog that was left in a crate most of his life and he wanted to go every 15 minutes. And would just squat where he wanted. It took some time and alot of positive reinforcement but he is down to only a couple of accidents a week now. When I take him outside when he does his business, I give him lots of cheering, petting and kissing. Also give him a little treat. Dogs love to please you and in no time he will get it. I dont know what you are using to clean up the messes but you want to make sure you use something like Natures Miracle because their noses can smell tons better than us.
He is still pretty young but will get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts