Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We just got our puppy the other day (female, 12 weeks). We're trying to potty train her as we're still living in an apartment on the 1st floor. She doesn't really like going out the door because the hallway is dark and at the end the stairs are quite big (not an elevator fan either). Thus, it takes quite a bit of time to take her out.
We spent most of the last 2 days outside, but she only did 2 poo and 1 pee outside. She usually waits until she gets back home to do it. Also, she did it twice right after eating, as in the few seconds that it took her to get from the food bowl to the pee pad. She got used to using the pee pad; the only pees she did in the house outside the pee pad were the first 2.
It's really hard to tell when she's ready or wants to pee and right after (or during) eating it's very hard to take her out. Do you have any advice on how to train her to potty outside?

Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got 8w male pup, who is now 10w and i can share my experience in potty training. Btw, i also live in an apartment (2nd floor).

Take your pup out every time after:
  • she wakes up from sleep/nap (they usually nap about 2h and sleep 4h)
  • she has gotten her meal
  • after play session

This above is from my breeder, whom i've good relationship to help us to raise our 1st pup. Essentially, we go out 10 times per day, roughly every 2 hours, since his meal times are 08:00, 12:00, 16:00 and 18:00. <- This is what we both, did not expect.

Now (2 weeks later) whenever he needs to go potty, he goes to our front door and sits on the mat. And today, he also barks when he needs to go out. :) But some "accidents" still happen.

To give you tips:
* Pick up your pup and carry her out, from your apartment to outside and after some time out, carry her back.
Carrying dog helps to boost hers confidence since she is close to you. Also, keep yourself calm and confident. It helps to calm puppy down. Petting with one hand also helps, if you can manage that while carrying her. This helps to overcome her fear of darkness. My pup is also afraid of the dark but i coax him when we are at dark spots or i turn on the lights (if able).
* At 1st she may not go potty outside since everything is new around her.
But try to mark down the spot where she pees, since dogs usually want to pee in the same spot (familiar smell). But with poop, dogs want to do it in "clean" spot and they rarely poop in the same spot. Especially when you don't clean up after your pup (which you should, i do).
* To fasten the potty training, you can buy crate and make it her burrow/bed/kennel.
Dogs don't want to pee/poop to where they sleep, so, naturally, they want to keep it clean. Unless you lock them into crate for too long and out of necessity, they have to do their #1 or #2 in there. <- If that happens, crate training is as good as dead and dog may never sleep in the crate anymore.

Btw, i don't use pee-pads, since that teaches pup that it's okay to go potty indoors. <- That makes outdoors potty training far harder.
When my pup does "mistake" indoors, i don't punish him for that. Instead, i clean it up and in the end, it was my mistake for not noticing him and his signs, when he needs to go potty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You got some good advice above, stick to a schedule, take her outside after every meal, hard running/play session, and right when she wakes up. Get some pet clean up spray to use when she has an accident inside- It helps remove the smell so she doesn't come back to that spot. If she's consistently going an a potty pad, you can try taking a (used) one with you outside for the scent, and then she should smell where she's gone before in the future.

Crates or a confined space like an x-pen does help with potty training since they want to keep their play/sleep area clean and you can see her all the time- no sneaking away to pee behind the couch! There's a lot of great resources on this forum for crate training, but similar advice as far as stick to a schedule, straight outside after sleeping, etc.

Good luck! and remember that they don't have full muscle control of their bowels until 5 or 6 months, so you might get occasional accidents up to that point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the replies. It really helps us in understanding her needs and behaviors. We did make some slight progress with potty in the way that she "notifies" us when she needs to poo by going to the door or being very agitated. She only did it once inside, the very first day.

However, for pee she only wants to do it inside, luckily on a pee-pad. It actually looks like she holds it until we got home. We know that because she gets very agitated outside and runs towards the building entrance pulling like crazy. We did spend more than 2 hours outside straight just to have her pee 3 minutes after coming inside. We believe that this is like her safe zone or that she misunderstood us thinking that we want her to hold until home. We tried the few places in which she did already pee outside, but it's like 1 in 4 or 5 times that she does it there.

Now, we're starting to have other problems with her :) She has a lot of energy and started to develop obedience problems and moods. It's starting to be really fun :)) Picture of her attached

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you very much for the replies. It really helps us in understanding her needs and behaviors. We did make some slight progress with potty in the way that she "notifies" us when she needs to poo by going to the door or being very agitated. She only did it once inside, the very first day.

However, for pee she only wants to do it inside, luckily on a pee-pad. It actually looks like she holds it until we got home. We know that because she gets very agitated outside and runs towards the building entrance pulling like crazy. We did spend more than 2 hours outside straight just to have her pee 3 minutes after coming inside. We believe that this is like her safe zone or that she misunderstood us thinking that we want her to hold until home. We tried the few places in which she did already pee outside, but it's like 1 in 4 or 5 times that she does it there.

Now, we're starting to have other problems with her :) She has a lot of energy and started to develop obedience problems and moods. It's starting to be really fun :)) Picture of her attached

View attachment 885594
To help her to pee outside, you can bring the pee-pad with you, to the outside. This should encourage her to go pee outside, on the pad (familiar scent). Once she is familiar with outside world, you can (gradually) remove the pee-pad when outside.

Another thing to help go potty outside - every time she does #1 or #2 outside, give her a small treat. This enforces and encourages her to go potty outside. Also, praise her when she has done her business outside. Latter is what we are doing with our pup.

She looks cute. :) Though, on the pic, she looks skinny. Or it could be just the angle of the shot. 🤔
Oh, my pup pics are here, if interested: Greetz from Estonia!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's actually another thing we'd like to ask advice for. In the last couple of days, she only wants to pee inside. Poos are only outdoor and she notifies us if needed, but we made a schedule of going out right after every meal and this works perfectly. For the pee, we're pretty sure she holds it until she gets home, because even she's nervous and agitated while outside she still won't do it (and sometimes we wait more than 1h after she starts pulling). We spent more than 3 hours last time, did some running, drank water, even made poo, but no pee. Yet, when she gets home, she'll do it in 5 minutes max. We tried on grass, road, ground, nothing works.

I think it might have to do with an idiot of a neighbor that shouted at her and at my girlfriend because the dog peed on a green carpet in the hallway. She probably mistook the carpet to be a patch of grass. This happened 5 days ago and afterwards she only did it maybe 2-3 times outside, but none in the last 3 days. Of course, this is only our supposition at the moment, but we suspect that that event has created a trauma for the puppy .

We tried going to familiar places, new places, using some napkins to spread her urine around. It's not that we want her to do it right away all the time, but we'd want to break this habit. Any idea what to do? Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
but we suspect that that event has created a trauma for the puppy .
I don't think pup got trauma out of someone yelling at her, especially the one she doesn't know. Most what it may do, is that she may become afraid of loud/shouting humans and may bark at them in adulthood.

As far as peeing outside, my pup does that on grass. And not on the "golf course" grass but on proper grass, 5cm thickness or so.

One thing, that may help you, is when you're not looking your dog doing business. Since some dogs can't do their business when looked upon.
When i was potty training my pup, i turned my back to him, to let him do his business in peace and quiet (i was actually sneaking on him from the corner of my eye, which he didn't notice 😄 ).

Also, how long is your leash? Since pups may need a bit of distance from you.
My leash is 1.7m long (adjustable choke leash) and it was a bit short. But my pup managed it. Though, my breeder suggested at least 2m leash for potty training. Now, i bought extension leash, that i latch to original leash and i can extend it up to 4.7m. Oh, i'm not a fan of retractable leashes since i find those for lazy people. Also, these leashes doesn't teach much to the dog, other than he/she can go where-ever they want. It also encourages leash pulling but that's another topic.

even she's nervous and agitated while outside she still won't do it
For pup to do their business, they need to be in "calm, submissive" mind state. Being overly exited doesn't help them to do their business. So, you may need to calm your pup down first. Also, pups learn the most when they are calm. But when they are overly exited (biting, zooming etc), their brain is essentially locked to any of the teachings and it's the worst state when to teach a pup. In this case, you need to calm your pup down, before any training comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts