Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Meka
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy Macy is 8 weeks old. Any advice on training would be great! She is doing well but has accidents to. I would love some tips.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Keep a pocket full of treats and take her out during the day after any play, when she awakes, if you see her sniff around, so pretty much about every 30 min to 1 hour at first. Carry her or walk her if you feel it is safe to the area you wish her to potty in. Have a Word to use like "Potty" or "Do your business", whatever you can be consistant with. When she potties, give her a treat and make a HUGE deal of this. Repeat over and over. Quickly she will get the hang of this. Goldens, thankfully potty train quite easily, but accidents will happen. If she goes in the house, pick her up and immediately take her outside to her potty area and pretend for a bit, treat and bring her back in, do NOT tell her No or use any punishment, just take her to where she should go and go clean up the accident. Clean her accident up well and use an odor neutrualizer on the spot. If ANY smell remains she might go back to the same place to potty. Remember going to the bathroom is a natural function, she see's nothing wrong, it is up to You to teach her Where to go that is acceptable. Always make it possitive for her, never negative!

For the first few weeks you have to watch them like a hawk, and treat, treat for doing it in the right place. At night be prepare to get up at least 1-2 times, but when she cries, take her out to potty, and straight back to her crate. I didn't treat during the night cause it woke them up! Just straight to do their business then back to bed. She will get the hang of this quickly that night-time is for sleeping.

Good luck and think you will be surprised how quickly she learns.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with everything above. Most important WATCH CAREFULLY! If you are not going to be focus on watching the puppy then take her out and crate her. It seems like when I trust my puppies and run out of the room that is when they go.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
My two cents, is make sure every family member is on the same page. I was always sooooo vigilent taking Maggie outside, and if for any particular reason the rest of the family wasn't watching her(while watching tv and playing video games, etc), while I was at work, that is when the accidents would occur.

·
Registered
926 Posts
First of all, are you using a crate? It's not obvious from this post.

If not, that is the first thing that you need to purchase and start using and ensuring it's the proper size for your puppy's age. Midwest makes crates that have dividers that allow you to adjust the size of the crate as your puppy grows.

Take water away in the evening by around 7pm and never put water in the crate. If you can try and play with her outside it gives additional opportunities for her to go outside and be praised.

A puppy at 8 weeks needs to be taken out on average about every half an hour and other times in between depending on what type of activity is going on. A puppy also needs to be taken out after sleeping, after playing and between 10-20 minutes after eating.

Be consistent on the door you leave through when taking out your puppy to potty. If you are, she should start going to that door when she need to go potty. Over the coming weeks you will need to figure out what signals she gives when she needs to go. Some dog's will stare at you, make a pass at the door, sniff the floor and when they do this for even a second take them out immediately.

Make a party when she goes outside, say "good potty" and give a treat. Golden's normally are very easy to potty train.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Take her out OFTEN (every 20-30 min.) and praise and give a treat each time she goes.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
All good advice here. We took Darby out every 15 to 20 minutes and more if she went to the door. Make sure you are using a crate, and watch the puppy constantly. 8 week old pups have VERY LITTLE bladder control. I know it's a Pain in the ***, but the more outside time you do, the more the pup will get the idea.:wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts