Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My new pup is doing very well learning to potty train and has only been with me for 4 days.
My question is, do I continue to reward her with a treat every single time she pees or poops. I have been doing that and she has come to expect it. I don't want to stop and confuse her and make her take a step backwards.
I use all natural 3 calorie liver treats which she loves and she already knows sit and come commands using these.
I don't want to make her fat! I am not overly concerned since she eats very little at meal times, but I know she will eat more as she gets more comfortable getting 3 meals a day instead of open feeding that she had at the breeder.

I am thrilled with the potty training, despite her accidents, which are less than her successes outside.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I still reward my pup at 4 months, mostly. Puppies will continue to have accidents so it's important to have the distinction between "good boy you went outside!" And "uh oh, not supposed to go inside." I have never felt he will stop going outside if I don't give him treats for it, he's not that cynical :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts