Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Montana is 6 months old and is still having accidents. She doesn't even ask to go potty, she goes where ever, WHENEVER! How do I stop this behavior? The only time she'll hold it if she is in the crate. Please help! :uhoh:

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
First question is how old was she when you got her.

You probably need to go back to treating her like a eight week old puppy. Taking her out every half hour. Limited freedom unless you can directly supervise. Other then that I can't think of anything. At that age they should be house broke. Although a occasional accident may happen when things get busy.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do you free feed and water? May have to go back to the basics of letting her out every 20-30 minutes. If you can't watch her put her into the crate or have her teethered to you. Outside have a phrase like "potty potty" when she goes happy excited praise. You can always teach her the bell system at the door so you know when she needs to go. Has she been spayed yet? Does she potty a lot in the house both one and two?

·
Registered
12,764 Posts
You probably need to go back to treating her like a eight week old puppy. Taking her out every half hour. Limited freedom unless you can directly supervise. Other then that I can't think of anything. At that age they should be house broke. Although a occasional accident may happen when things get busy.
What she said. Especially the limited freedom bit.

Also - did you actually teach her that it is good to go outside and not good to go inside? What I mean is, when you started to housetrain, did you give HUGE praise when she went outside? Like, HUGE? They need to hear every single time that they are the BEST when they pee outside. And they need just a firm but gentle no - outside - when they have an accident (plus you have to interrupt and get her outside so she succeeds). You should be taking her on leash every single time so you can praise when she goes. It sounds like she just hasn't learned right from wrong yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
(plus you have to interrupt and get her outside so she succeeds)
I only laugh at this, because with my little Tule from about 10-12 weeks, if I picked her up mid-stream she'd just keep going... I had a few "fun" incidents in cleaning up! She still has an occasional accident, but at least when I pick her up she has learned to quit momentarily! (I realize I haven't addressed the original poster's issue - just wanted to share...)

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
Have you had her checked for a UTI? Zelda was still having accidents at 6 months, and I took a urine sample into the vet. They found a tiny UTI, and after a round of antibiotics it was like she was magically house trained. Worth looking into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts