Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella was spayed about 2 weeks and has had three accidents in the house this week. Three! This is very unusual for her. One was poop, and she's really good at holding that. She had already gone today too and bam, it came right out.

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Over the years several of my gals have had "spayed incontinence," for which there is a medication that stops the problem. I haven't seen the problem with poop. This probably merits a call to your vet, in any case.

Good luck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give them a call next week.

Might I add she's on antibiotics for her spay lump. Would that cause poop problems too?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It's too early for spay incontinence. That's a hormonal problem. But I do occassionally see dogs that have recently been spayed have a little housetraining bobble. I think it's probably inflammation at the uterine stump as the internal stitches dissolve. It should resolve fairly quickly. This is fairly likely for Bella since it's been both poo and pee (at least that's how I understood your post) and because she's reacting to the internal body wall stitches with the lump.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks IowaGold. It has only been this week too, not last week. I'll keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Thanks IowaGold. It has only been this week too, not last week. I'll keep an eye on her.
Well that would fit with the inflammation from the suture starting to break down (it takes a little while before that happens). Keep an eye on her, but remember it's never wrong to have the urine tested if it continues.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Aw, poor Bella, she's probably so confused as to what's been going on with her body over the past couple of weeks! I hope the lump (and the housetraining bobble) goes away soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts