Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who deal with ticks on a regular basis... A couple weeks ago, I plucked a tick off of Quiz after a hike. It felt like I got the whole thing, and it looked like an entire tick when I put it on the counter. There's still a raised bump where it was removed. Is that normal?

I think I've pulled a total of 3 ticks throughout the lifetime of both my dogs, so I'm not well versed in tick aftermath.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-S

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie did have a bump for a while after I removed an engorged tick. Just keep an eye on it. The bump started to irritate Rookie and he ended up with a wicked hot spot before I even knew what was happening. The next time, I would have a lampshade on him so fast his head would spin!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky doesn't get ticks.....but unfortunately us humans do. When I pull off a tick from myself, a large, very itchy bump occurs. It stays quite a while....

·
Premium Member
18,638 Posts
The bump is pretty normal, just check it occasionally to make sure it's going away.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it. It's on the back of his neck and I've not seem him mess with it at all. Glad to hear it doesn't seem to be a source or worry in itself.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
The bump can last several weeks .. just check that it doesn't seem to get infected and keep an eye out in the coming months for

fever
generally him just being 'not right' or flu-like symptoms
limping
eyes taking on a wierd glowing quality

if any of these signs are noticed, ask the vet for a Tick Borne Disease Panel (or SNAP test)

You may also want to have this test done in about 3 months even if you have not noticed symptoms.

If he is positive for Lyme, Erhlichiosis etc, but asymptomatic, the standard treatment protocol is not always clear. Some vets prefer to wait for symptoms, but here in the East Coast many vets will begin treatment (30 days of Doxy usually) without waiting for the symptoms to develop. My vet always treats since he too has goldens and goldens are suseptible to developing renal failure from TBDs. Scary stuff, and the antibiotics are the safest course.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Yes, that happened to Brady. I think it was there for at least a month. When I went to show it to my vet, it was gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts