Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just had our boy Sumo fixed (or broken) whatever you want to call it on Tuesday (he is 18 months old) and he does not seem to be recovering as quickly as we thought he would.

The incision looks fine (though he does lick it) but he really does not like to walk around. He will eventually go outside to do his business, but looks very uncomfortable while doing so.

The main issue is that it is now Thursday (third day since surgery) and he still does this weird thing where he will get up to walk and instead will do his best to run to where he wants to go and then sit down immediately. Sometimes he will run/sit three or four times before getting to his desired destination. Like it it hurts so he runs to get there quickly, but then sits to relieve the pain.

Is this normal? If so, how long will it last? He will also whine a bit or do a sort of growl, though this seems like it is out of frustration with the situation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Hmmm....Chester didn't show any signs after day one of hurting. Maybe we were just lucky. Have you called your vet to see what they think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the day after and asked for more pain medication (he only received the 24 hour shot, no take home meds) and they said that he should not need it and to just keep an eye on him.

My sister in law is also a vet and said that they typically try not to prescribe too many pain meds to take home because they can ask like asprin (thin the blood) and cause bleeding which is something they try to avoid after a neuter surgery.

They will receive another call if he does not look better soon.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie was completely out of it for two days after the surgery. It actually kind of scared me a little bit. I think, in his case, it was a reaction to the anesthesia. Rookie did that little run and sit down thing as well. But by day three he was starting to be better and by day four he was much better. My vet sent me home with some painkillers in case he needed them. I'd suggest giving the vet a call. It can't hurt to ask about it. Maybe some mild painkillers are in order?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I will give him through today then and if he is still presenting the same issues then he will be brought to the vet. They will either have to check that the stitches are not too tight or give him some meds. I assume if I bitch they will have to listen to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts