Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. We finally did the deed after a year and 4 months. And I am not regretting it more than one day post surgery. Cooper just started drinking and eating again and has still not gone to the bathroom since being home
Does any one have advice when dealing with post neutering? How can I get him back to his old self as soon as possible ( with as minimal freak outs as possible)

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,752 Posts
Did your Vet Clinic give you any instructions to follow while he's recuperating?

My Vet gave me a sheet of instructions, no running, jumping for 10-14 days, take your dog out on a leash to go potty. After a few days, you can start taking your dog for a short walk on a leash. Keep an eye on the incision to make sure it's not getting infected.

I wouldn't rush his recovery time, follow your Vet's instructions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your Vet Clinic give you any instructions to follow while he's recuperating?

My Vet gave me a sheet of instructions, no running, jumping for 10-14 days, take your dog out on a leash to go potty. After a few days, you can start taking your dog for a short walk on a leash. Keep an eye on the incision to make sure it's not getting infected.

Yup they sent us home with a list which I am following as diligently as possible, I guess I’m just most concerned about him not going to the bathroom part
Granted the first time he drank was this morning. When I take him outside he just stands or try’s to lay down.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,752 Posts
Since he's just started eating, it's going to take his system a little time to return to normal functions from the anesthesia and surgery.

You can try walking him in the yard, that might help get things moving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since he's just started eating, it's going to take his system a little time to return to normal functions from the anesthesia and surgery.

You can try walking him in the yard, that might help get things moving.
Will try that! Have to get him out of the door first lol thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Neutering is a routine operation in that a lot of dogs undergo it, but for each individual dog it's a major surgery. Your dog has had anesthetic and has been pumped full of painkillers. The operation also removed a source of hormones. It will take a while for his system to recover.

It's probably the anesthesia that made him not want to drink. Watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. He should be peeing by now. If he doesn't oblige fairly soon, I'd be inclined to ask the vet to take a look.

·
Registered
745 Posts

I got exactly the same instructions from my own vet in Nevada.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts
The anesthesia puts the whole body to sleep, including the bowels. It can take 24-48 hours for them to "wake up" and have a movement. If it goes longer than that do talk to the vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts