Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 18 month old golden, Gray, will be getting neutered in the next few months, and I'm feeling a little nervous about it! Can you give me an idea of what to expect? How long will he be down and out for? When will the incision be healed enough that we will not have to be concerned about him pulling at the area and causing harm? Would you recommend a specific type of more comfortable "cone" that you have used with your dog rather than the standard plastic kind from the vet? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had both mine done 16 days ago, Ollie is 2.25 years old and stan is about 20 months I had to use the regular E-collars as the inflatable would not have kept them from licking each other but I kept them down from exercise other than a short walk in the subdivision for 4 days before our normal 4 mile walks and tried to keep them from wrestling for 7 days. by the 4th day I was leaving the cones off when I was able to watch them and only putting them on when I left or at night for bed and by day 7 they really were not paying much attention to the area so I stopped it completely. Both mine were really acting like themselves 2 days after surgery other than being pathetic about having the cones on. Stan is still a little less healed than Ollie but he is bigger and I probably pulled the stitches a little but they have been wrestling and carrying on like normal since day 6 or so after surgery.

·
Premium Member
18,275 Posts
Your vet should give you post op instructions, if they don't, ask for it. He should not do any running or jumping, and he needs to wear the cone until the stitches are removed (if there are any), that's usually 10-14 days. If there are no external stitches he still can't be allowed to run/jump for 10-14 days, either way don't let him lick the incision until it is fully healed. You can probably start walking him about 7 days after surgery.

Keep in mind, in addition to the external incision, things internally were cut too and are still healing. If you let him be too active too soon you run the risk of a hematoma in the scrotum. It can swell up and have either fluid or firm swelling.

Keep him on restricted activity for the length of time your vet tells you to so internally and externally things heal as they should.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Our 2 year old was just neutered. First 2 days after surgery he was sleeping and probably sore. By the 3rd day he was back to normal and wanting to play. We had him wear the cone at night only for the first 3 nights or if we left the house to run an errand, and during the day he pretty much left the incision alone or if we saw him sniffing around down there we’d tell him to quit it and he would. Our vet put the stitches inside the skin, so there was nothing external for him to lick or chew at. He was wrestling and playing with our other puppy by 4 days, though we kept him to leash walking for probably 5 days with minimal off leash time. It was really less of a big deal than I expected it to be. He healed well and had no issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also be aware some dogs react to the absorbable stitches. Sometimes red 'blisters' will appear about 3 weeks after surgery ( and after you are done obsessively looking at their stitches). At minimum, a phone call to the vet ( most likely a visit) is required

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice. I realize our vet with give us discharge instructions, but I appreciate the real life experiences and advice from those who have been through it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts