Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got to ask: why does a bath bring on the zoomies? Maybe it's just me and my furkids, but Casey, Rusty and Toby all "suffer(ed)" from this affliction. :D

Casey didn't like baths, so I always assumed that was the cause - the release from the dreaded tub threw the zoomie switch. Rusty generally disliked water (wouldn't swim and even avoided puddles), but I trained him to associate baths with treats, playtime and good rubs, so he quickly learned to enjoy them. Yet after every (weekly) bath, he went nuts. Toby loves all water, anywhere, anytime, and absolutely adores bath time. And after each and every bath, he gets major zoomies and runs around the house like a maniac for a few minutes (like right now, for instance :p:).

So, am I alone in this or is it common - and if so, what is it about a bath that brings on the zoomies? Is it the combination of getting wet and being rubbed and scrubbed and then being toweled off that is raising the excitement level, and running around is the natural release? Then why do grooming sessions, playtime and major belly rubs/lovins not have the same effect? Anyone know? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Totally not alone, lol, mine do too. Omg it's hilarious. We line all the furniture with towels now because they will get soaked if we don't.

Not sure why they do it... I've always thought they were just SO GLAD to be done with the bath that they went crazy... (neither of mine like baths lol)

I crack up when they do it though... nothing funnier than a soaking golden ripping through the house rubbing themselves on every possible surface!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You are so NOT alone!! :greenboun

Both of mine love a bath and wehn they get toweled off - it's off to the races. My Sheltie was the same way.

Sunny (first golden) hated water so she went to the groomer for baths.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting! Toby doesn't do that - he just swims until he's knackered, which takes a very, very long time! :p:

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I made the mistake of bathing both dogs at the same time (you know, to save time... Ha) omg... Worst idea ever LOL! They were running around, slipping on the wooden floors, bashing into each other. Craziness. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I made the mistake of bathing both dogs at the same time (you know, to save time... Ha) omg... Worst idea ever LOL! They were running around, slipping on the wooden floors, bashing into each other. Craziness. Lesson learned.
What ever you do - never, ever let them outside together after a bath!!!! :no: Not unless you really want to give them a second one...... :doh:

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
What ever you do - never, ever let them outside together after a bath!!!! :no: Not unless you really want to give them a second one...... :doh:
LOL!! Omg, I don't even want to IMAGINE!! I bet the grass/dirt is EXTRA fun to roll in when you're super clean!!

·
Davina
392 Posts
this happens to my 6 year old chihuahua. I give her a bath. she isn't the hugest fan but is use to it. as soon as I have toweled her off and let her go she goes ape $#!+ running everywhere rolling around rubbing on things spazzes out big time LOL I love to watch it it is so funny LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last week Ted decided to join me in the bath!! I had left him down stairs asleep, then I heard him looking for me, I shouted to tell him where I was, big mistake! He came in, had a look then ran round the up stairs like a loon. Before I could get out of the bath he flew into the bathroom and jumped on top of me!! I don`t know who was more shocked! I jumped up, he went under the water, jumped back out and did the wall of death around our bedroom, with me holding a towel round me with one hand and trying to get a towel on him with the other. I`m sticking to the shower for now!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Beamer does the same thing! He gets so excited after baths and then he just crashes for the night after.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Awww, shucks. Was hoping for videos! :(

No afterbath zoomies here but she sure does roll a lot in the grass. We don't have any dirt here so it's safe to let her go.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
My girl gets after-bath zoomies when I bathe her outdoors in the summer. The place where I do it is perfect - it's a paved area, no car access. And she stands, looking pathetic, tail between her legs. UNTIL....

I say, okay! Let's dry you off! And she goes NUTS!! I laugh so hard. She loves being towelled off, and she'll come over, then zoom around, come for more towelling, zoom around. It actually helps!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shye is the same way. As soon as she's done, I leave the shower doors closed to encase a flood :). I let her out and she's all over the floor, slithering around like a snake. :bowl:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always thought there is none so happy as a wet dog.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
And they really enjoy sharing the moment with ya to. :D

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I had a poodle who hated his mustache being wet, so after a bath he would go the full length of the living room with his nose on the carpet switching sides and he would be running full tilt.

Bayne does the zoomies too after a bath, I think it's that they just feel so good and clean after being rubbed, scratched and got all that outside dirt off their skin. Don't we all feel better after a shower or bath too? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts