Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you let me know your experience with this? I took my 3 and 1/2 month old to vet because she kept licking herself after urinating. She had a UTI. The first antibiotic didn't work, and she was on the 2nd one for two weeks. She was tested in the middle of the two weeks, and bacteria was still showing, hence the second week. I just took her back yesterday, and her urine is clear. She is still licking, and the vet said her urine concentration is somewhat concerning to him because it does not look concentrated enough. He asked if she had been drinking a lot of water but I have not noticed that. I will get a urine sample next week and take it in. He had mentioned renal dysplasia at one of our visits but now said that if the urine concentration is still the same, he will probably want to do an ultrasound because that is concerning to him. I looked it up online and she really does not have any of the symptoms listed...she isn't peeing a lot, isn't drinking a lot, isn't lethargic, etc. but I am very concerned. We've had two other dogs with health issues and I did so much research to find a reputable breeder so I could get as much peace of mind as possible. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is the licking after peeing a common thing with Goldens? I've reached out to the breeder and am waiting to hear back from her but am so worried. thanks.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Renal dysplasia means an inherited condition where the nephrons (the functional units inside the kidney that the filtrate is processed through and urine is released from) are abnormally shaped. RD can be mild or really bad depending on how many abnormal nephrons are in the kidney. Puppies w RD usually have excessive urination of very dilute urine. The diagnosis comes from radiographs and ultrasound, and sometimes a biopsy. The problem w the biopsy is it takes a certain number of cells and in puppies it is often difficult to get that many, do diagnosis is still unconfirmed technically even after biopsy much of the time so that's why a needle biopsy is not terribly useful- the tissue sampling that IS useful would be on necropsy. It is heritable. Those two dogs should not be bred together again if your vet gets a confirmation of diagnosis. RD puppies are often smaller than their littermates and unless the condition is super mild, they have a shorter lifespan, sometimes much shorter. There's not a real 'fix'= just treatment to make quality of life better. There are many associated renal issues as well such as ectopic ureters, diabetes.. I do not think of RD as a 'Golden' condition- lots of small Toy breeds like ShihTzu are diagnosed with RD so those are the ones whose outcomes/treatments are followed. I hope the dilute urine was as a result of a random sample and you can see color in pup's urine most of the time. Maybe the licking is just a habit formed when she had the UTIs. I will cross fingers and toes that that is it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts