Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I am new here. My name is Corey. I am a bit stumped here and was wondering if anyone has a similar experience.
My girl daisy (golden) 9 years old- came down with a cough and runny nose basically overnight 3 weeks ago. She also sounds raspy while breathing, like she was congested. Other things I noticed were an increase in itching, attempts to swallow and more lip licking. She has chest and body x rays and everything came back good. Heart and lungs sound good. CBC was done and all levels are great. She was originally diagnosed with an upper respiratory virus or cold. She was put on doxycycline for 14 days to prevent any secondary infection. Throughout this time the cough / runny nose has come and gone. I kept her inside through most of it, just letting out in yard. No walks really. At around days 10-15 she improved a lot. Runny nose was still there but the breathing was much better and the cough was pretty much non existing. If she did have a cough it would be tiny. barely noticeable.

The following week after this I took her on walks everyday through the woods and park, now that she was feeling better. She had GREAT energy on her walks, and just in general. Her breathing seemed fine. She normally pants during and after walks as it is. I also was sleeping with my window open this week. As it went on I noticed maybe every once in a while a "huff" but nothing like it was when she first got sick. Then again, after one of our walks, that night she had a few loud coughs again. Next morning she was back to where she was when this all started. The breathing, more coughing, nose is a bit runny throughout day, clear discharge.

I went back the other day, to another vet at the same practice, and he suspected maybe seasonal allergies, specifically ragweed. It just turned fall here on Long Island and that makes sense for the timing. He gave her a script of 20 Tussigon pills for cough that he said I can use every 12 hours. 5 MG. I have just been giving her half a pill every 12 hours.

Originally, my regular vet at the practice, who is away on vacation right now, had mentioned maybe a case of Laryngeal Paralysis. He said he could lightly sedate her and check her throat to see, and also take cultures from throat, and other things. But he wanted me to wait it out to see if she got better.

He unfortunately wont be back until next week, I cant see him until the 17th. I am just so STUMPED to what this could be we are dealing with. What would get better like that and then all of a sudden get worse? Just like in the beginning was almost over night. It just seems like her throat is uncomfortable. And to me it seems like it is sinus related. If it was something like LAR PAR, would that really appear to me overnight? and then practically disappear and come back again out of no where? I am EXTREMELY in tune with both of my dogs behaviors. That is why I am so stumped. Please if anyone has any experience, or can relate to what my dog is going through, it would help for now. For now I am trying to just pay attention, as we all know it is very important to give our Vets any information possible to help find a diagnosis.

Thanks everyone

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
911 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are having such frustrating symptoms with your Daisy. I have no answers but thought I would bump this post up to see if we can get a response from someone who might have some idea. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts