Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We set up a puppy play date with friends of ours who havr a 10 month old corgi/gsd mix female. They were playing good and having fun. They were claming down and our friends bought a bone for their dog to chew as she can be destructive otherwise. They put it down for theirs and koda didnt mind at all. These people werent very attentive to the dogs all night which was driving me crazy but I digress.

Ari (the other dog) would get up from the bone and go do other things so koda would go take the bone and chew for a bit. When Ari wanted it back she would lick Kodas face till she could steal it. Koda was fine and let her have it...about 8 times. We tried giving koda her own but Ari would just take that. One time koda went over, took the bone, and ran into.the kitchen. When Ari came to take it koda snapped at her. We stopped her and took it away.

When she fell sleep we gave it back to Ari. Koda woke up and took it when Ari didn't have it and snapped at her again. When my hubby took it she snapped at ari thinking she had it and that time the shackles went up. she has NEVER done this before and I'm worried.

What should we do? She doesn't do it to us. we always take things away and she doesn't care...

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well, for starters I would not give one dog a bone without giving the other one the exact same thing. Secondly, I would not let either dog take something that the other had. It sounds like she was ok with it at first until she learned Ari was going to take it and she could not have it back.

·
Kristy
9,818 Posts
I am in the camp that doesn't believe in giving bones to dogs who don't know each other without separating them or crating one. Given your comment about the other folks not really keeping a close eye on their dog, it sounds like they may be more trouble as a playdate than they are worth.... Just my initial reaction.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have a six golden household. If I am giving something high value, I give 7 of them(usually marrow bones, so there is always an extra). I almost never give bully sticks, rawhides, filled sterilized beef bones, etc... I have a gigantic box with "old bones."
That ensures a never ending supply of bones for everyone, all pretty equal. Mine never possess. However if my Georgie is chewing a bone, his nephew, ****(Mouse) will do what we call the "mouse dance." He submissively weaves back and forth in front of George. George gets distracted, stops chewing, and lifts his head. Then **** sneaks his head in and gets the bone. George, being sweet, gentle, George says"oh well" and that's the end. When I have dogs not part of the household in my house, I probably wouldn't let them bring their own bones in... that would have potential to make mine more possessive. The antlers do not seem to cause possession aggression, nor do the nylabones, and the Planet Dog toys.

Reactions: Lucky Penny

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
For the next play date I wouldn't have any high-value treats or toys out. I would also ask your friend not to bring any. I always put toys up when another dog is visiting.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am going to disagree with the other posters (to a point, I also would not give one dog a bone and not give one to the other). What they were doing was really good manners on both sides and I am proud that they did so well. Neither dog actively took the bone, they waited until the other one was done, or tried to entice the other one to give it up. That is very healthy dog interactions. Even the snapping that Koda was doing isn't out of normal behavior, though to me that was brought on by having only one bone and it was causing a bit of distress in her.

·
Bailey Boy~ Best Friend
409 Posts
My reaction and ideas matched all above fom a gut level. What I related to was the situation and dealing with others and their dogs- even for play vists. That I find to be challenging. Bello has also helped me be more direct with others. It's hard. I even put him in his crate removing him in my own house from the issue. He was safe at least-

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I feel much better. I didn't want to have a possessive dog but this all makes total sense. I kept saying to my DH that there shouldn't be just one bone to share but he kept saying "she is doing fine, she doesn't care"..blah blah blah.

We will be sure to not have these things out or ask our friends to not bring along.

I am not a fan of these friends as owners and probably won't be initiating many more play visits with them for the dogs sake. They just don't understand the responsibility and I don't trust their dog entirely.

We had another play date Sunday for Koda with a different dog and after taking all these suggestions it went perfectly! I think we found her best friend! :)

Thanks all!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts