Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pet/1559633841.html

Our 2 year old golden retriever is in need of a new home. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old.

Due to him not realizing that he is big dog, I would recommend he be with kids 8 and over who can hold their own. He does the typical golden 'lean' and knocks over our 4 and 6 year old. He loves to carry a toy around the house and will 'steal' toys from the kids if he doesn't have his own. He will need additional training as he gets overly excited when greeting people. He must have exercise on a daily basis and when he does, is a joy to have in the house.

63 lbs, up to date on shots (distemper, rabies, and bordatella), recently wormed and tested for heartworm, neutered

Pros ~ COMPLETELY house broken, does not go potty when on leash, squats to pee, loves other dogs, rarely barks, not a mean bone in his body, walks great on leash, gorgeous/thin coat, great recall, knows how to sit, lie down and wait, not obsessed with balls, does great on Costco brand chicken and rice dog food.

Cons ~ Digs if not exercised, sometimes eats poo, will run to find people if left outside unattended, will chase cats and squirrels in the yard, licks your hands, is allergic to his shots and must have a $16.00 injection when he gets them.

He is purebred, but we never registered him AKC as it was not important to us.

$100.00 rehoming fee. Serious inquiries only. References required. We are willing to do a trial period and would take him back in a second if it didn't work out. I have been upfront about everything. I can explain more about our situation and why we are rehoming if we move forward.

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
I sent the onwers an email with Golden Bonds Rescues link. I hope they use it.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
What a bunch of a-holes. I'd love to wake up in a world where life isn't disposable. I hope he finds a loving home that loves him for being a Golden.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm tempted. REALLY tempted. I live a long way away( in WA), but sounds like a lovely dog. Husband comes home on Friday, I just might have a little sit down with him. hmmmmmmm.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
At least he is trained, housebroken, up to date on shots, neutered, and young. I'd rather see this kind of dog being 'rehomed' than a 14-year-old outside dog with major health issues being dumped. This guy has a good chance of finding a great home.

·
Registered
774 Posts
To me, it reads like: "due to him not realizing he is a big dog, we are getting rid of him."

OK, so he leans on their kids, so they have to rehome him?? Nice.

Kris

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Atleast the owner is honest about the pros and cons and there won't be any surprises to anyone who gives him a home. Detailed ads like this generally get a better response so fingers crossed he finds a home soon. I hate to clump every person rehoming a dog in as a careless ahole.. this post atleast sounds like they are making an honest effort to find the dog a good home.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Atleast the owner is honest about the pros and cons and there won't be any surprises to anyone who gives him a home. Detailed ads like this generally get a better response so fingers crossed he finds a home soon. I hate to clump every person rehoming a dog in as a careless ahole.. this post atleast sounds like they are making an honest effort to find the dog a good home.
Yeah, I agree. They sound a bit lazy, but at least they gave a lot of information and are even willing to do a trial, which to me sounds like they want the dog to find the right home.

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
Here is the what they emailed me back:

Thanks for the info, but I am not desperate to turn Bentley over. I feel like I know what's best for him and I don't want to leave the decision of his new home up to a stranger. Plus IMO, golden bond charges outrageous fees to adopt. I appreciate you taking the time to e-mail!

I'm sorry but I don't think golden bond charges to much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts