Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Portable crate for everyday car use?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Minnesota Rosie 
#1 ·
Hey All:

I'm considering buying an extra crate to use only in the car. I'm getting sick of lugging the big crate every time we want to take Rosie somewhere. I don't want to let her ride in the car without a crate, because if I need to run into a store without her, I'm worried that she'll chew up the car. Anyway, I've seen a portable crate with mesh sides at Target. It's the Boots & Barkley brand. It's only about $25, but I'm worried that she might chew right through the mesh. Has anyone tried this crate, or does anyone have any other suggestions? When she's a grown-up, I'm guessing she won't need a crate for normal everyday car travel, so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I bought a portable kennel at Orchard Supply Hardware for Cody, it has canvas sides with mesh windows and a mesh opening. It is called a Porta-Kennel. I keep it in the back of my car, it folds down flat when not being used. We've used it when traveling for overnights in a hotel room and it has worked out great. I imagine Cody could chew thru the mesh door if he wanted but he hasn't tried...and he is a big chewer!!

#3 ·
I keep crates in my car for the dogs to ride in for their safety. found some relatively cheap crates (metal) from eBay as well as sometimes craigslist. Dogs are safer in the car in their crates as well as you too. (imho) :)

If you are concerned about your dog chewing up the car - odds are he will easily chew through the very soft fabric crates at Target. They are definitely flimsy. I have one and used it once, gave it away.

#4 ·
Those pop up crates from target are super flimsy. I'd think they'd be quite easy to chew out of and your dog will be tossed around like a ragdoll in the event of an accident. I'd rather see a good harness/seatbelt over one of the pop up Target crates.

#5 ·
Keep the soft sided crate for sleeping next to you in the house. The crate for the car should be more solid.

My folks knew people in the show circuit that got in an accident. The people didn't survive but their animals did because they were in the vari-kennel type crates. It's something to keep in mind.

I wouldn't leave my dog in the car for any length of time anyway so chewing shouldn't ever be a problem.

#7 ·
I think I'm going to start looking for an extra crate on e-bay. Sounds like the soft-sided crates aren't so great. Plus, it would be safer for Rosie to ride in a crate, even when she's a grown-up. Coincidentally, we discussed car safety at puppy kindergarten last night! My teacher recommends crating them in the car, or putting them in a seatbelt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.