Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am brand new to this website and can't wait to start reading the threads and participating.

I just have one little problem first though. I am the proud owner of a 10 week old boy puppy and have had him for 4 days!!! Obviously, I am going through the toilet training steps but the problem is he does not let me know he needs to go during the night and when I wake up in the morning he's done it next to his bed (he sleeps in a large crate) and ends up getting covered in it! I don't like seeing him like this but not sure what I should do. I didn't think dogs liked to do it in their "special place"?

Can anyone help me? Thanks in anticipation. Will post photos etc and more later.

Thanks! x

·
Registered
110 Posts
They usually don't do it in their crate because they don't like to dirty their den. It could be possible that the crate is too big for him so he is able to go to the bathroom in one area and sleep in a different area. The crate should be big enough for them to stand, turn around and lay down. If there is more room than that, then that is where you could run into trouble.
Lots of time and patience too! Good Luck!! :D

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! Where is his crate? If the crate is not in or very near your bedroom it is quite possible you are not hearing him. The average 10 week old pup will need a middle of the night bathroom break so it is very important that he be crated close enough that you can hear him when he fusses - he may not make a lot of noise. Your pup needs a little time to settle in, the transition from mom and littermates is very stressful for them- so it can upset their systems and cause the 'runs' -so his accidents may be a result of that.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
One thing you could try is setting an alarm so that you get up in the middle of the night to take him out. What time do you give him his last meal of the day?

·
Registered
62 Posts
We had a very large crate for our puppy but we blocked part of it off when he was little to avoid potty accidents at night. As he got bigger we gave him more room. They only need enough room to stand, turn around and lay down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing you could try is setting an alarm so that you get up in the middle of the night to take him out. What time do you give him his last meal of the day?
His last meal is around 5 / 5.30 pm as I thought that would give him enough time to empty his bowels.

I will try the alarm system - will I be able to stop after a while and will he get used to lasting all through the night?

Thanks x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They usually don't do it in their crate because they don't like to dirty their den. It could be possible that the crate is too big for him so he is able to go to the bathroom in one area and sleep in a different area. The crate should be big enough for them to stand, turn around and lay down. If there is more room than that, then that is where you could run into trouble.
Lots of time and patience too! Good Luck!! :D
It is a very large crate with a plastic tray on the bottom - he sleeps on one side and the other side is left clear. Is this where I am going wrong? Do I need to partition the crate?

Thanks x

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
His last meal is around 5 / 5.30 pm as I thought that would give him enough time to empty his bowels.

I will try the alarm system - will I be able to stop after a while and will he get used to lasting all through the night?

Thanks x
That seems quite early for a last meal for such a young pup...How many meals a day is he having and when is his breakfast?
It sounds like a combination of his crate being too large and him needing to be taken out in the night. You will probabley find when he has had all his jabs and you are able to give him a proper walk before bedtime that he will empty his bowels then and then get into a routine of that and be clean.
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing pics. Join us in the uk section too...click on my name and see the group in my details.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
It is a very large crate with a plastic tray on the bottom - he sleeps on one side and the other side is left clear. Is this where I am going wrong? Do I need to partition the crate?

Thanks x
Yes you should partition the crate off so he only has room to turn around and lay down. You can put boxes in the back of crate to make it smaller.

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
At 10 weeks old... your puppy should be able to sleep through the night without having to go out. But when is the last potty outing before bedtime?

I'm not a crate person, so I can't respond to that... I never really saw the use of them since our guys have run of my entire bedroom when they are little and never have accidents in there. o_O

I do think that you might want to try to get the last potty outing as late as possible, and the first potty outing of the day as early as possible. Or review the times he's going out for potty.

My guy had the 12-3-6 outing schedule for nights for the first couple weeks. Whether he had to go potty or not, he was going out. I had a seperate alarm clock for the middle of the night outing. As we weaned off the middle of the night outing, I let the guy wake me up when he had to go out but otherwise he went out first thing in the morning. And each time they go out, they have to do both #1 and #2. It doesn't seem to matter when they last had food.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts

Thanks x
I was just making sure you weren't feeding him really close to bedtime but 5 sounds fine. You will be able to stop after a while. What you can do is use the alarm for a couple of weeks and then try a night without it. If he goes potty in his crate then give it a few more days with the alarm and try again. Also like other people have said you should make the crate smaller for him.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It should be stopping soon. He should be able to make it "through the night" one of these days, though what you think is the night and what he does might be a different story. Ozzy woke up awfully early for awhile there. But, all dogs are different and your guy just might take longer.

Yes, as others have said the crate needs to be smaller. They don't like to soil their "den" but if there is enough room for them to move over into a corner and go, they will.

·
Registered
586 Posts
When Maya was a younger pup, she would cry when she needed to go out at night. We partitioned the crate off, as others have said--they just need enough room to stand up and turn around. Our crate came with a divider. When she did cry, we would take her out just for a potty--no talking or anything, and right back into the crate. I stay up a bit later, and hubby is an early riser, so we only had a few weeks of having to take her out for a "middle of the night break" at around 1 or 2 a.m. So, I would take her out last about 10 or 11 p.m., hubby get's up at 4 or 5 a.m., so it was a bit easier for us. I think the middle of the night outing ended qat around 4 1/2 months of age. Welcome to the forum, you will find loads of good advise from many experienced Golden owners!:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Definitely partition off the crate to make it smaller and start getting up in the middle of the night to take him out for potty breaks. We tried to take Homer out every 3 hours for the first couple weeks. Then we increased the time to every 4 hours for about a week. Then we only got up with him once during the night for about a weeks time. Now he can make it through the night without any problems and if he needs to go he barks and lets us know. Actually, he woke me up about 30 minutes early this morning because he had to go!

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell you how long it will take for your boy to make it through the night. You just have to play it by ear and slowly increase the time between potty breaks. This worked really well for us and Homer has never gone potty in his kennel, thank goodness! Best of luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My daughter & SIL had this problem with their poodle-X. He was a pet store puppy and they attributed it to that. They finally gave up on the crate. They had to clean up somewhere else but at least it wasn't on him.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My pup had just enough room to turn around but she still went in her crate. At night I made sure I was up every 2-3hrs to take her out! She is now 6months old and she never goes to the bathroom in her crate or the house anymore! She usually goes potty at 8pm and holds it until 6am. Good news is they do grow out of it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts