Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tobey went in to the vet today to get his cracked tooth extracted.

Poor thing cracked it in early to mid December (chewing on an antler). The vet looked at it at during his check up before xmas and said it looked like it cracked and nearly exposed the root. He didn't seem like he was in pain, so he said we could bring him back in January to get it removed (if it didn't crack so close to the root, he would have elected to leave it in because it was one of his back molar teeth.

We would have taken him earlier, but it didn't seem to be bothering him (I could brush it, and touch it with my finger, and he didn't mind). Plus my wife went into labor, and gave birth to our son on the 6th of Jan. Luckily the tooth didn't get infected, and Tobey didn't seem to experience any pain from it.

Well, this morning I took him down to the vet. 7 hours later, I picked him up. Poor guy was still a bit groggy and his left leg was partially shaved (for the IV). He's recuperating ok, but will be taking pain meds and antibiotics...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
First, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SON! Woo-Hoo & Yea!

So glad to hear Tobey's tooth extraction went well and broken tooth now gone. Always amazes me to see what our dogs will eat and still keep their teeth intact!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your son. Glad to hear that Tobey is resting after his extraction. Had the same problem with our dog last year. He cracked it on a rawhide bone. Our vet told us that never give a dog anything to chew that your would not be willing to whack on your knee. There teeth and jaws are more delicate than we think. We lost Buddy in December, will keep this advice for future pup.....I hope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts