Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have done a great deal of reading and trying to find an answer. I'm lost. Jake is a beautiful pup. His adult fur is coming in and it's course and brittle. He has always been an itchy pup and it just hasn't gone away. He is on a good -- as good as I can afford -- food (Diamond Brand Naturals Lamb and Rice large breed puppy-- he's allergic to corn :no:). He's doing very well on it except he is still itchy -- no fleas or mites -- and his coat is dull.

I'm having a hard time finding a decent vet since mine died 4 months ago. I went to one just recently and she seem bothered that I was even there. I'm going to give her one more try, maybe I caught her on a bad day, and get some blood tests done (Dec 3) and see what they have to say.

Could it be that he is just coming into his adult coat? His puppy fur was beautiful and soft and shiny. Not so much with his adult coat.

Thanks for any advice at all.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I'm no expert but if he has always been itchy, could it be an allergy to something else?
Also even though he is young, maybe you should have his thyroid tested? a full panel.
Wish I could think of something else.

My boys are on salmon food and have luxurious coats but they don't have allergies to salmon.It's so hard to change foods when they have allergies... you don't want it to be worse.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
The adult coat will be more course then the soft puppy stuff. It should still feel nice and be healthy and shiny. If he is itching without any pests I would question allergies. I would put him on a fish diet or an all grain. I use Canidae All Life Stage Grain Free. My dogs are just beautiful. Thick shiny wonderful coats. To see if those diets work you need to gradually change to the new one over a week or two. Then stick to it without any suppliments of treats for about 12 weeks. Many people think these all fish or no grain don't work but forget they are giving them the milkbone in the day that could be the cause. Use veggies as their treat if you need to give one. Puppies are usually so food oriented that you can just give them one of their dog food kibbles as the treats in the day.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check into "In-flight".. Good stuff.
I feed raw so I add mackerel etc but IN Flight really works.

·
Gold Member
3,105 Posts
Check into "In-flight".. Good stuff.
I feed raw so I add mackerel etc but IN Flight really works.
dont mean to but in here but where would you find in flight? my golden has a skin disorder called ichthyosis...and is on fish oil, etc. now have her on call of the wild salmon..but would love to try anything that might make her less itchy and less flaking...thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
dont mean to but in here but where would you find in flight? my golden has a skin disorder called ichthyosis...and is on fish oil, etc. now have her on call of the wild salmon..but would love to try anything that might make her less itchy and less flaking...thanks!
Here you go. http://inflightcoatformula.com/ We get ours mailed to us.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
From the AKC standard:

"Dense and water-repellent with good undercoat. Outer coat firm and resilient, neither coarse nor silky, lying close to body; may be straight or wavy. Untrimmed natural ruff; moderate feathering on back of forelegs and on underbody; heavier feathering on front of neck, back of thighs and underside of tail. Coat on head, paws, and front of legs is short and even. Excessive length, open coats, and limp, soft coats are very undesirable. Feet may be trimmed and stray hairs neatened, but the natural appearance of coat or outline should not be altered by cutting or clipping."

So it could very well just be his adult coat. Hard to say.

·
Registered
481 Posts
From the AKC standard:

"Dense and water-repellent with good undercoat. Outer coat firm and resilient, neither coarse nor silky, lying close to body; may be straight or wavy. Untrimmed natural ruff; moderate feathering on back of forelegs and on underbody; heavier feathering on front of neck, back of thighs and underside of tail. Coat on head, paws, and front of legs is short and even. Excessive length, open coats, and limp, soft coats are very undesirable. Feet may be trimmed and stray hairs neatened, but the natural appearance of coat or outline should not be altered by cutting or clipping."

So it could very well just be his adult coat. Hard to say.
True- but this does not reason the itchy skin.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Do you use a water softening system?

A friend was house sitting once (her dogs came along with her)....within days her dogs were itchy... When she stopped house sitting the itching stopped....
The only difference was the water softening system....
When she mentioned it to the home owners...they said their dogs itched a lot too....
They switched to bottled water and no more itching for their dog either....

Just another thought to toss into the ring....

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Golden has allergies and is doing well with Salmon Oil. I give it to my Lab puppy also who has itchy skin and within a week she's scratching a whole lot less.

·
16,000 Posts
I find that pups changing coats over to adult coat are often a bit itchy. The adult coat is coarser, and while changing over it may not appear as shiny as it will be - there is still dead puppy coat to come if. Once the change is complete they seem fine. Frequent (weekly) bathing is very helpful. Use a good quality botanical based shampoo, dilute it, and rinse well. Be careful about the addition of any supplement, too much can cause an imbalance in the diet, some are very high in fat and can pack weight on. Coat is genetic. As long as the dog is being fed a good diet, is parasite free, and is kept clean, they get what they are genetically capable of getting.
If your puppy continues to be itchy, I'd suggest that it might still be the food. He's young to consider thyroid issues, but itchy skin is one of the symptoms. I'd try bathing and adding a small amout of oil to the diet and see how he fares once the adult coat is completely in.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THanks everyone :) I will look for salmon oil and get a better shampoo. I'll let you know if it works :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts