Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**edited to say: although I said this is 'not good' - I do realize that these things are treatable for Apple...and it could be much, much worse...**

Apple, as many of you know, has had her share of health issues in her short life...and the saga continues....

Well, recently she was battling yet another UTI...so we thought.:confused: She's had 5 of them in the 10 months we've had her. She's 13 months old. After this last one - and 2 rounds of antibiotics (again) - I took her urine in to be tested and they still found that there's an infection. they took a sterile sample from her bladder and it was NORMAL - so why the infection??

So - fast forward a week and I bring her to the vet for a check-up because something just is not right.

First, she hasn't been to the vet since October. She weighed 70 pounds then. They put her on the scale yesterday - and she's 88 pounds!! UGH! :doh: OMG! :no: 'Are you sure?' I asked? The vet said 'we triple checked - even zeroed out the scale because we thought there's no way!' Right now we feed her Blue Buffalo - 2 cups per day - 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. Not very many snacks - unless she is with my mom - whom i've yelled at ;) for giving her too many treats! So now - she's on a strict diet!! **I know exercise is huge - and we have tried to get her to run around the yard - but she is very low-energy - has been since the day we got her! We take her on walks (force her) but with the winter - we haven't been able to do as much as we'd like**

Second - her vulva is EXTREMELY tucked...like - to the point that the infection she's been treated for - was not a UTI - but bacteria that has built up every time she urinates - the vet described it as a cup - just sitting there and holding it...each time she goes.:yuck: :no:

Third! - yes, there's more! Apple's personality has changed...she is very grumpy - and very 'to herself' which - as we know, Goldens rather be with people than by themselves. So the vet mentioned to do another Thyroid test on her - she has had one before - it was normal.

The vet suggested that we first, try to get her weight down. she has to lose at least 18 - 20 pounds. Second, she said depending on how her weight loss effects her vulva (hopefully in a good way) - we'll still probably have to do surgery. Third - she said that she'd like to see if the weight loss will help her attitude - maybe she just doesn't feel good with all the extra weight!! And last, but certainly not least, we still have to get her other elbow fixed - with her elbow dysplasia...it's not helping things.

So - I know I haven't been on as much...but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a tucked vulva? also - the vet said to expect about 6 months before the weight comes off - with diet and exercise. Green beans, carrots and ice cubes are going to be her new (and very few!) snacks! Along with only 1 cup of food a day - total.

Poor Apple!! Do you think there's anything else I can for her?

Thanks for reading and 'listening'! And the picture below confirms that she does have an abnormally long tongue! :p: But we love her anyway!!

Attachments

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Poor Apple! Give her a hug for me. Hope you get things figured out and can get her right as rain soon.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Hugs going to you and Apple. I admire your strength.

The problem with her vulva, I have heard with two children I know, both had surgery and are now fine. I believe they were on daily antibiotic until the surgery.

Keep us up to date.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Bummerific. As for UTI maybe this will be helpful? My Willow had a UTI. The first batch of medicine did not clear it up. So next, 10 days of 8 dollars a day pills. Still, did not totally clear up. 20 days of the 8 dollars a day pills. The vet said the infection was likely in her kidney and the 20 days did get her better. So maybe the infection is higher up. Willow has dealt with her share of UTIs. I have to keep an eye on her with that. I think some dogs are just like that. Although she likely had a kidney infection, with extra meds she is well now - some things take time.

I wonder, if you had a wipe to help dry Apple down there after she pees would that help?

I hope that she gets much better very soon!!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh poor Apple. I would be worried she wouldn't be getting enough nutrients in only 1 cup/day. Is her elbow limiting her being able to walk??? To me I'd want to rule out that she is reacting to being in pain over elbow and infection, and also be sure that her diet is providing her the nutrients to keep her body running effectively. Certainly giving her so little that she is in starvation mode is not good. I think I'd want a second opinion to sort out all of her issues.... 18 pound gain in 3 months on 2 cups of food seems unfathomable. If she can walk, perhaps some short daily (or twice daily walks), cutting back her food by 1/2 c and supplementing with green beans.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I am so sorry for all of the problems with Apple. Sending lots of positive energy your way that she can finally improve. She is such a beauty!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
This sounds eerily similar to something that recently happened to my Aunt. She had a bacterial infection from a tilted bladder that was the result of the hysterectomy she had years ago. She was treated for repeat UTI's, they'd clear and then come raging back. It wasn't until she suffered what appeared to be a stroke that she was diagnosed with the bacterial infection that had pocketed itself off in her bladder. Her early symptoms other than the UTI were behavioral. She ended up in a Rehab facility for a few weeks to get her balance and faculties back. She's fine now, the bladder issue is under constant supervision, and she may end up needing a surgical repair.

It sounds like Apple is following the same route that my Aunt took. Is there a surgical repair for her 'tucked' vulva? I'd hate to think Apple might suffer a Stroke like event due to the bacterial infection.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Apple is so beautiful, I just love all her curls. I am very alarmed by a weight gain like that in that short amount of time. Could she possibly be getting into some other source of food? Cat food or poop, even bird food? Everything you are describing screams thyroid. When your Vet tested her, did he do a 6 panel ED test? Do you know what her numbers were? It would be good if you can get them and post them. A full test by Dr. Dodds at Hemopet may be helpful if that's not where it was done. There are special diets that can help with UTI's, I can find them if you would like. Also I would try to get her to drink as much as you can for the flushing effect. Maybe some low sodium chicken broth on her food would help her to feel fuller and also be more fluids. I would do half broth and half water. Is there somewhere you could swim her? There are many places now with indoor therapy pools for dogs. That would help both her elbow and her weight. Is she on any pain meds for her elbow? If it's not her thyroid making her grumpy then I would suspect pain. Poor baby, she sure has way more than her share of problems. Please give her a big hug from me. I have also had very good luck using Morgan's ear meds (Otomax) for clearing up little yeast infections around her girlie parts.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
We did this surgery about 4 months ago to, incidentally, a golden retriever, age 7. It was like a vulva "tuck." It pulled back the skin on each side for a tighter and more taut vulva and allowed her to urinate without causing the problem. It'll be okay! I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, though!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think if I was Apple I'd be grumpy as well. Not feeling well.
Hoping Apple gets better fast. Poor Apple.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi my dogs are on strict diets too,They were getting 2 cups of food before there diet and still are getting 2 cups of food a day. What i do is they get 1/2 cup of raw minced meat,1/2 cup of biscuits and 1 cup of beans. I try to exercise them everyday but cause were in summer some days are over 100f.

So sorry to hear about Apple i hope she will get back to her normal self soon.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My Jasmine had a vulva that my vet described as an innie. She would get infections and had a terrible looking discharge. She also was 20+ lbs overweight at the time.

She is 9 years old now and has very few "tootie" problems since her weight has been at a good level. She is about 72 lbs now.

I looked up Blue Buffalo and it has approximately 570 cals per cup. That is a really high calorie food. That can work just fine, I feed my dogs a food that has about 560 cals per cup, but I feed Jasmine and Jasper 3/4 cup twice a day and Danny 1 cup twice a day. If they have a really active day, or when we are up at the lake, I increase the amount of food to 1 cup each for Jasper and Jasmine and 1 1/4 cup for Danny. I guess I am saying that I think you are feeding Apple too much food. Try cutting her back to 3/4 cup twice a day and take her in to be weighed in a month. From there you can judge whether you need to cut her back more or if she is losing weight at a reasonable pace.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
YOW!!!! That's alot of calories... my girls would look like Macy's balloons on that. There are many foods in the high 300's per cup. Innova large breed, Wellness Core Reduced Fat and the Fromm 4 star line.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry that Apple is still having problems with the bacteria. I think I would cut her food back and add no salt green beans to her food to help fill her up. And the low sodium chicken broth sounds good too. Just put less green beans on that day. Hopefully with her weight coming down will help her female problem and help her feel better.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wish you all the best with Apple. Maggie had her share of UTIs after what I think was an early spay. I am grateful that I found Patty and her blog on recessed vulvas. Long story short, Maggie has not had a UTI since (I still give her cran tabs and check her urine pH about every 3 weeks). My 1st post on the blog was 5/20/09 so you can get a little of our history.
http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=47#comment-20308

Of course every situation is different, and it sounds like Apple has more than 1 issue going on. Good luck to you, Jill

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby had an inverted vulva with lots of discharge and infection. Once she was spayed there were no more problems. Is Apple spayed?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Aww poor Apple and poor you! I would put her on a lower calorie food, for sure!

Also, was her thyroid read by Dr. Dodds? That might be something to look into as well.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Carmella had to have surgery on her vulva. I don't know exactly what it's called, but I guess her vulva had an extra flap of skin or something that was collecting urine and causing some pretty bad infections in that area. Anyhow, we had it corrected, and never had an issue with it after that, although she did develop pneumonia after the surgery but that's a whole 'nother story. :p:

I'm so sorry to hear about Apple. It sucks when our babies have issues at such young ages (Flora's already had knee surgery and most likely has HD), so I know how you feel. Apple is so very lucky to have such a great and caring mother (father? I don't know if you're male or female, sorry!) like you. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts