Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I'm hoping someone here has run into this issue and found a resolution. We've had little Butters for a great five months now. He's about to turn seven months old in one more day, and he has always had poop problems. It's not as bad as it used to be, so I'm actually grateful. However, I'm concern this is something that bothers him.

Over the course of the first few months, we tried different foods because he was really bad. The best stool he produced would be formed but very loose. It fell apart when we picked it up with the bag. He would also wake up throughout the night needing to go outside and would have diarrhea. This was like every two hours. Every time he checked at the vet, his stool samples came back negative. We did the blood test, the more thorough stool test through a lab, and x-rays. All good. The vet would always prescribe Metronidizole. Butters has been on that like four times now. While on it, he would always do very well. But as soon as he ran out, things would go back to normal.

I put my foot down and stopped wanting to medicate him. I wanted to give him a chance to get used to one food without switching him, so we had him on Nature's Recipe: Easy to Digest with Salmon, Pumpkin and Sweet Potato. We gave him six weeks, and things got a little better after week 4. However, it also seems like he peaked. Loose, but formed stools, but only twice a day. No more waking up throughout the night.

His vet thought that chicken might be an issue, so she suggested Blue Buffalo Puppy: Lamb and Oatmeal, which doesn't have any chicken or poultry fat. We weaned him off of Nature's Recipe slowly. Things never got worse. He's been on BB for about three weeks now. We give him 2 cups in the morning when he wakes up at around 9:00 AM and 2 cups at dinner time at around 5:00 PM.

Before breakfast, right after waking up, we take him outside and he has the most beautiful poops (dog owners with this problem will understand why I refer to them as beautiful). Solid, firm, easy to clean up from the grass. The one right after dinner starts with a solid piece, and ends really badly. Anywhere from chocolate ice-cream consistency to chocolate shake. Sometimes he poops again right after his breakfast, and it's like somewhere in the middle between the pre-breakfast and post-dinner in quality.

We take him on walks twice a day (after each meal) for about 30 min - 1 hr, depending on how he behaves since he tends to get aggressively playful during walks. Other than that, he also gets the Blue Buffalo Apple Treats (which don't have any chicken in them either). The introduction to these treats has made no change since before he was getting the treats.

Any help for Butters is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts