Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m so sorry about the poop question. We have a 13 week golden named Gunnar. 3 weeks ago he was diagnosed with roundworm and we gave him that devil drug drontal whoa that was awful!! Since then he will have a solid poop in the a.m. and literally 1 minute later it’s mushy. This is pretty consistent throughout the day. I spoke to the vet and she said it’s because of the parasites and it’s common. She told me to start him on a bland diet of rice and chicken which I started last night and prescribed him Metronidazole (which I’m nervous to give him because of the Drontal experience. I was wondering if I should continue with the bland diet for a couple days and see if it firms up his poop if not then start the Metronidazole? I’m just confused on what to do because it’s not consistent mushy poop throughout the day there is still solid poop also?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should give him the medication the Vet prescribed and follow the Vet's directions.
I’m so sorry I should have said the vet told me if his poop becomes just diarrhea then start the med. So it has been 1 solid poop followed less than 5 seconds later a mushy poop.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We brought Archie home at 8-weeks and 4-days later was diagnosed with Stress Colitis. Metronidazole, probiotic and Royal Canin gastrointestinal food (bland diet food) was a godsend. A week later we’re good to go and beginning to transition Archie back to regular food. I hope your baby feels better soon!

·
Super Moderator
463 Posts
Sounds good I will. Thank you so much!! I’m a new puppy owner; Gunnar had such a bad reaction to the Drontal I’m just a little nervous to give him the medicine.
You've got to trust your vet. If you don't, you should shop around for one you do. You'll be happier if you have a vet you trust.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Metronidiazole is an antibiotic that is wonderful for the GI tract- it's nothing like Drontal. You will be glad you trusted the vet.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My girl has been on metronidazole 3 times. It has never made her act worse or caused problems. It has always been great. The last time it was in conjunction with Panacur.
I wouldn't hesitate

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My girl has been on metronidazole 3 times. It has never made her act worse or caused problems. It has always been great. The last time it was in conjunction with Panacur.
I wouldn't hesitate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts