Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a golden that just turned 1 yr old. I am feeding him Fromm gold large breed dry food. I do give him a small amount of real meat bits like chicken or beef when training for a high value reward. He doesn’t get too many cookies or such things . In the morning he has a regular poop but by the evening it is mushy to almost runny. I have even added some pumpkin to his food. I did have him when a puppy Holistic select large breed puppy and I still had the same issue.
Any suggestions I welcome
Thank you in advanced

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
How much are you feeding your dog per day? Often mushy poops by the end of the day are caused by overfeeding. Try cutting back by 1/4 cup per meal and see what happens. If that does not help have his poop checked for giardia or coccidia...this can also be a reason for off and on soft poop.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
He's beautiful. My first Golden had this issue for the first two years. He had coccidia when I picked him up as a pup. He ended up doing better on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dog food and I used Propectalin chewable tablets when he developed looser stool until it firmed up. You can get that on Chewy.

Your dog is beautiful!

·
Registered
80 Posts
We got 11w pup and his poop, for the last few days, was also very soft. So, we reduced the food amount he eats per one meal and as of today, poop is nice and hard again. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
We started both our puppies on Fromm and at some point had bad stools so we needed to switch. We tried many brands for our male and it took awhile to find the right brand for his system. I would try different brands and see if it helps. Transition slowly and try each brand for a month or so to see how it goes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We started both our puppies on Fromm and at some point had bad stools so we needed to switch. We tried many brands for our male and it took awhile to find the right brand for his system. I would try different brands and see if it helps. Transition slowly and try each brand for a month or so to see how it goes
Can you tell me what brands did you try and what worked?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can you tell me what brands did you try and what worked?
Oh, there were so, so many! Orijen and Canidae ( which our previous goldens liked) are the only ones I remember for some reason. We ended up using Eukenuba Large Breed. But that may (or may not) work for you. And actually, I could not buy that food in my town this weekend, so we are starting a transition to Purina Pro Plan. Lots of people on here feed that, but it remains to be seen if it will work with my dogs. I'll know in a few weeks! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts