Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can't seem to get Riley on a consistent poop schedule and it's starting to drive me batty!

On a typical day, he'll go 16+ hours between his last meal and his next poop. He normally goes twice a day, but there are days when he'll only go once in 24hrs.
There's no constipation involved - he's not trying to go and can't. He just... doesn't have to go. And when he does finally go, it's good, perfectly normal poop.

We'd had him on a fairly consistent schedule for a while, where he'd go once in the morning (either first thing, or on his walk a couple hours later) and he'd go again around 4:00pm. Lately, he's back to not going in the afternoon. I'm taking him for three or four more walks, later in the evening, before he'll finally go. And like I said, sometimes he doesn't even go then and will wait until the following morning.
It's driving me crazy. I don't want to think of him being miserable, holding it all night if he has to go. So I take him out three or four times in the evening, and half the time he won't go anyway. I'd like to get him on a more consistent schedule.

I think the food has something to do with it. He's on Fromm again and we had this problem, off and on, the last time he was on this food. We had the problem on basically every food (all "higher end") with the exception of Eukanuba. When he was on that he was the most consistent, but he's not going back on that food.

I'm wondering if adding a probiotic might help? And I'm wondering if it's better to go with plain yogurt, or something like dogzymes digestive enhancer? Which do you think works better, or would work better with his situation?
We had him on the dogzymes before, but I honestly don't remember if he was more 'regular' while he was on it, or not.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
If he isn't constipated, I wouldn't worry about it. Just like people, dogs have different schedules!
We use Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer too but we ran out and I hadn't reordered and really didn't see any difference. When I give yogurt their poop tends to be much looser so then I add shredded wheat or pumpkin.
We are always trying to read our dog's minds! LOL!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he isn't constipated, I wouldn't worry about it. Just like people, dogs have different schedules!
We use Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer too but we ran out and I hadn't reordered and really didn't see any difference. When I give yogurt their poop tends to be much looser so then I add shredded wheat or pumpkin.
We are always trying to read our dog's minds! LOL!
LOL - exactly. I feel like I need to be a mindreader with this dog!
The bad thing is, unless he REALLY has to go, he doesn't ask to go out. He just patiently waits. So I have to sit here and wonder if he has to go, or not.
When he won't go in the evening, I always say, "He's holding it until morning, now. I'm not taking him for another walk." An hour later, I'm asking mom, "You think I should give him one more chance...?"
Half of me wonders if he's figured this out and has realized that he'll get a couple "bonus walks" if he waits. LOL. (With Riley, it wouldn't surprise me!)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said... probiotics aren't necasssary. I have 6 dogs and let them out... couldn't tell you if they poop once or twice or three times daily... if they aren't acting sick, it just never crosses my mind.

Reactions: LifeOfRiley

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with what everyone else said... probiotics aren't necasssary. I have 6 dogs and let them out... couldn't tell you if they poop once or twice or three times daily... if they aren't acting sick, it just never crosses my mind.
That's good to know. Thank you!

When we put him back on Fromm and drastically reduced the amount of treats he gets, I figured he'd be going less. Stands to reason - less junk in = less poop out. It just concerned me when it's sometimes down to once a day, and the timing is inconsistent.
Maybe I'll just let it go and won't start tinkering.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've found a good morning walk is the best way to get the pooping to start--even if I let him go in the back yard first thing in the a.m.--he needs that walk to go. I just let him do his thing the rest of the day--once I know he's gone I don't worry as much.

He had a real problem with Fromms, much to my dismay. I discussed his diet with his regular vet this morning and now she thinks what I have him on (Wellness) may have too much fiber and be causing some soft stools. She asked about probiotics and I told her we stopped because they made his stools even worse. She replied she sees this in some dogs.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
IMO I think a consistent schedule has more to do with it than the food. Fiona has always been a once a day girl since I had her, even with a kibble change. Granted several times she has had a few dietary indiscretions, but always bounced back to normal. I did try probiotics/digestive enhancer with my boy, can't say for sure if it helped or not. But then again he had serious issues.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so I guess only going once a day isn't all that unusual...? I always thought that it was a pretty odd thing for them to only go once a day.

IMO I think a consistent schedule has more to do with it than the food. Fiona has always been a once a day girl since I had her, even with a kibble change. Granted several times she has had a few dietary indiscretions, but always bounced back to normal. I did try probiotics/digestive enhancer with my boy, can't say for sure if it helped or not. But then again he had serious issues.
He's walked on a very consistent schedule. He just doesn't always "go."

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Hey, if he only wants to go once a day that's only one poop YOU have to pick up a day. I wouldn't be complaining. ;)

On a side note, I think I've participated in more poop threads than any other kind of thread. I need to stop this.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, if he only wants to go once a day that's only one poop YOU have to pick up a day. I wouldn't be complaining. ;)

On a side note, I think I've participated in more poop threads than any other kind of thread. I need to stop this.
LOL. I know.
Mom and I have more conversations about Riley's poop... We joke about it and have decided that we both need to get a life. :bowl:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just searched the forum on poop threads and found this. Lucca has been a consistent twice a day poop-er since I got him. Once in the morning before his breakfast and once in the evening before dinner. Since he fell sick 2 days back when he started vomiting, his poop routine has changed drastically after he got well. He has not poop for almost 36 hrs. I'm wondering if it's due to his vomiting 2 days back. He just doesn't want to go. It's not like he squat down and is straining. Urgh. I'm wondering if it's constipation. FYI, i'm feeding Lucca Fromm too but he never had a problem with pooping since the day I started him on Fromm.

·
Registered
457 Posts
We can't seem to get Riley on a consistent poop schedule and it's starting to drive me batty!

On a typical day, he'll go 16+ hours between his last meal and his next poop. He normally goes twice a day, but there are days when he'll only go once in 24hrs.
There's no constipation involved - he's not trying to go and can't. He just... doesn't have to go. And when he does finally go, it's good, perfectly normal poop.

We'd had him on a fairly consistent schedule for a while, where he'd go once in the morning (either first thing, or on his walk a couple hours later) and he'd go again around 4:00pm. Lately, he's back to not going in the afternoon. I'm taking him for three or four more walks, later in the evening, before he'll finally go. And like I said, sometimes he doesn't even go then and will wait until the following morning.
It's driving me crazy. I don't want to think of him being miserable, holding it all night if he has to go. So I take him out three or four times in the evening, and half the time he won't go anyway. I'd like to get him on a more consistent schedule.

I think the food has something to do with it. He's on Fromm again and we had this problem, off and on, the last time he was on this food. We had the problem on basically every food (all "higher end") with the exception of Eukanuba. When he was on that he was the most consistent, but he's not going back on that food.

I'm wondering if adding a probiotic might help? And I'm wondering if it's better to go with plain yogurt, or something like dogzymes digestive enhancer? Which do you think works better, or would work better with his situation?
We had him on the dogzymes before, but I honestly don't remember if he was more 'regular' while he was on it, or not.
My baby has been on Fromm for a few weeks, but only starting this week has she been pooping only once a day. So I too would feel better if she pooped after each meal (AM and PM) lol. Does once a day mean it's more nutrious and takes longer to digest?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts