Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
We have a 5 y/o Golden who has never had any poop problems before. Right before the holidays, we noticed her bum had a bad smell. When we checked it out, we noticed she had some poop stuck in her bum area. We washed her up, and had to shave a little bit at the base of her tail where it had matted in. It had matted enough that there was a bit of a sore spot when we shaved her.
A week or so later, she had the same problem. We washed & trimmed again.
We're having the same problem again this week.
Any ideas on what might be causing this?
There haven't been any food changes (she's on organic chicken & rice, has been for quite some time).
Haven't seen any diarhhea, but I have noticed she's farting more often.

Any ideas if there's something we can do to help her out?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
964 Posts
She might be having problems expressing her anal glands. I don't know very much about it. I'm sure someone will chime in that can help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just brought Sammie to the vet because of a stinky butt. Never had this problem with Sammie before. She is 1 1/2 years. While we were at the beach and she drank some salt water, got runs for a 3 days. Due to her having loose poop her anal gland did not express properly and started to build up. This took place over a few weeks. The vet cleaned them out and also gave us antibiotics as a precaution. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I am just guessing, but it could be the time of the year and all the snow. Sometimes the poop will stick in the hair as they cannot get their tail high enough in the snow when they squat.
I would probably check her bum/tail area after each poop and then just use a wet cloth (or baby wipe) to wipe off any excess poo that might have stuck. Then once dry, brush the tail out to prevent any matting.

This time of the year, it often takes a little extra diligence on our part for grooming our dogs. Especially the tail and pants!

Welcome to the forum :)

Kim

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
The bad smell is also making me think she is having a problem expressing her anal glands. Your vet can check it out and express them in a jiffy if needed.
You can do it yourself, but the fluid really stinks and you need to be careful. It is better to have someone who knows how show you at first.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
One of my Goldens had difficulty expressing his own anal glands and we needed to get him some help periodically with it from his vet (what Copper's Mom said is true :yuck: ). Our pup never had any flatulence issues related to the anal glands; however, so that could be a separate issue. Do you supplement with a probiotic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey all, thanks for the replies.
Morgan went to the vet for her regular shots, so we had him check it out when she was there. Turns out she had an anal gland infection. He injected some antibiotics, and gave us some more to give her at home (pills for about a week.)
She's back to feeling better (and no more smelly butt!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts