Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I have a jingle bell hanging from my front door, have for many, many years. It became a potty bell by happenstance. Each time I would open the door to take the pup out for a potty break, the bell would jingle and they quickly associated the 'jingle' with going outside to go potty.

The initial purpose of the bell was just to let me know when someone was coming or going. Sam and Ike let me know by brushing against the bell, that they needed to go out. Smart Pupsters!

You can make one yourself, it's easy.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It definitely can work. I don't personally use them but I've had many students who have. I've picked up big bells after Christmas to use too.

There are a few parts to this for best/most success:
-Work on house training. Keep a chart of when/where the dog eliminates. Take him out often and regularly. Give several treats after elimination. When you are able to tell the puppy is about to eliminate, start the process of 'adding a cue'. Use a word (..."Something you don't mind saying in public....") when your puppy is about to eliminate. Do this for a week or so.
-Separately, teach the puppy to ring the bell. If you search on you tube for "clicker training targeting" your puppy will learn very quickly how to do this.
-Once your puppy can eliminate on cue and can ring the bell on cue, start asking the puppy to ring the bell before taking him out, cueing elimination, feeding treats, and returning inside.

It's a fairly simple process.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
My dog's bell training happened purely by chance, too. I had put Ranger's Christmas bell collar on the door handle and forgot about it when I cleaned up all the Christmas decor. It's two months later and still there so everytime I open the door, he hears the bells jingle and he must have figured it out.

Which is fantastic, since his idea of letting me know he has to go outside is to...I don't even know. He gets let out in the morning, has the door open all day (most days) to run in/out and gets let out again at night before bed. I don't know that he's ever "asked" to go out, besides laying down closer to the door than he usually does. So I'm glad he's figured out the bells, though he's only done it twice. The first time I thought he was just smelling them, but then when he laid down by the door I realized he wanted out. Maybe he's tired of me "ignoring" his silent please to go outside.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
we have used a homemade set with our girls since they were pups. they were both trained 100% by 13 weeks old, they are both 2 now & haven't had an accident yet.

we put a nail in the trim beside the door & hung them from there, that way they wouldn't ring unless the girls rang them (not when we opened the door).

we just took them out at key potty times (after naps, after playing, after eating/drinking). and would take their paw & swipe the bells, then open the door & say "outside". wait until they start to go & say "go potty". treat when they came back in. although Layla is our "free-thinker" and rings them with her nose...

it took less than a day for them to understand that bells=outside. that's where the trouble starts. for about 2 weeks they would ring them constantly, because they got to go out & then get treats. we had to be very diligent & every time they rang we took them outside, they only got treated if they potty. once they hadn't had an accident for a week, we moved the bells to another room & showed them where they were. then they had to go find them to ask to go out-therefore breaking the constant ringing.

they are a godsend on vacations, trips, & when we have friends/family come look after the dogs. we just take the bells with us & hang them on the door. we don't have to constantly take them out "just in case". they clearly know how to ask & have never made a mess.

BTW: our girls were trained separately, they are 6 months apart.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've used bells with great success. The worst part is once they figure that bells=outdoors, and use them just to ask to go out. My dogs were usually pretty young (4-5 months) when they learned this trick. Of course that's also the age when maybe they do need to go out more often than you think so you HAVE to let them out each and every time. Trust me, the first time you think they are playing you, they won't be! After they get a little older, I can tell easier if they really have to go out or just want to.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I've used bells with great success. The worst part is once they figure that bells=outdoors, and use them just to ask to go out. My dogs were usually pretty young (4-5 months) when they learned this trick. Of course that's also the age when maybe they do need to go out more often than you think so you HAVE to let them out each and every time. Trust me, the first time you think they are playing you, they won't be! After they get a little older, I can tell easier if they really have to go out or just want to.
That's what happened in our case, I finally took them down because it was driving me nuts. Originally I planned on leaving the bells up indefinitely. I had also hoped that nudging the bells would help keep Hank from pawing the door and scratching the finish. I decided my sanity was more important;)

Reactions: Pemphredo

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's what happened in our case, I finally took them down because it was driving me nuts. Originally I planned on leaving the bells up indefinitely. I had also hoped that nudging the bells would help keep Hank from pawing the door and scratching the finish. I decided my sanity was more important;)
Count us in the had to take down list. Quincy, our first Springer, figured out really quickly that the bell = outside and treat. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
We use the bells, too. We purchased some large jingle bells at Michael's (craft store) very inexpensive.

Duffy learned at about age 12 weeks to use them to let us know he wants out. Again, like most others here - "out" doesn't always mean potty, sometimes it means he wants to just go out and play in the yard! But at least I can kind of determine the cause of the ringing. If he hasn't been out in awhile, I take it seriously!

Kris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have done what LoveisGolden has written in regard to training with bells. Recently however, my little 10 week old Maggie has turned a new leaf. She is rebellous and ornery and took the bells in her mouth and nearly pulled them from the wall. I removed them, so as not to have her injured by the pinnail holding it in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts