Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

"Poo-Poo" bags? Will trash can liners work as well?

985 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  LauraBella 
#1 ·
Hi.

Always doing "business" on leash (and not having a fenced yard) is new for us. So, I'm going through those little blue "doggie bags" way faster than usual. I was thinking of getting one of those rolls of trashcan liners instead to save money (you know the kind, the scented ones that come in a roll of 100 for a buck at the Dollar Tree). Would that WORK? Any reason not to?

Thanks,
Laura & Bella

#2 ·
I don't see why not, they will just be bulkier to carry - both empty and full.

I use the plastic grocery bags quite often too. Just have to make sure there are no holes in them.

#4 ·
I buy poo bags at the dollar store.....50 of them for $1.25. I can just stash them in my pocket. I have used grocery bags as well but it gets a little bulky when you have 3 dogs!! I could use the same bag for all 3 but that usually means walking for a period of time swinging a bag of poo with me......not too pleasant most days!!

#9 ·
I buy poo bags at the dollar store.....50 of them for $1.25. I can just stash them in my pocket. I have used grocery bags as well but it gets a little bulky when you have 3 dogs!! I could use the same bag for all 3 but that usually means walking for a period of time swinging a bag of poo with me......not too pleasant most days!!

This is why garbage night is my favorite night of the week to walk Enzo! lol Lots of nice places to put his poo after I clean it up.

#6 ·
We have the same issue. We go through poop bags so quickly and because we've promised ourselves to only use the biodigradable ones it gets even more expensive. Hoping to come upon a sale on these at some point in the future but not holding my breath (haha - sorry, lame and completely unintentional).

As an aside, check out these awesome poop bags made by a local radio station that sponsores our shelter.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah... it does make me feel a little guilty using the plastic bags for doggy poop. Especially since our garbage guys have said they do not want organic material (leaves, yard crud, doggy poop) put in plastic bags.

We've been trying to make a point of emptying the bags in the compost bin, but er... not always.

Confession: In summer I kinda stockpile the poopy bags and then throw them into leaf piles (yes, we have plenty of leaves to burn all spring and summer before the new batch drops in fall) for burning. They do burn up pretty fast. For some reason. :D

#11 ·
We save all plastic bags - grocery, etc, and use them when traveling. I stuff several into empty Kleenex boxes and keep them in the vans for use at ex-stops. No need to pay big bucks for what is essentially the same thing but because it comes in a box with a picture of a dog on it is marked up many $$$$$.

#13 ·
I use the plastic sleeve our newspaper comes in, grocery bags, and I buy the cheap black poop bags at the pet store. The colored ones are more expensive. I figure, it's just poop. It doesn't need to be fancy.

When we go to the park, our township has a bin for doggie poop and provides bio-degradable bags. I usually take a few at a time and have an extra when the need arises.

#14 ·
i always use grocery bag and just dump the poop into my big black trash can (here in CA take only they take the trash once a wk) and it become sooo smelly in my trash can ... can we get one of the trash can for baby diaper and put the poop inside... will that be less smelly?

#18 ·
I too have had holy poop bag hands. Ewwww...

Apparently at our landfill biodigradable items don't actually break down because of the lack of oxygen (I've actually called them and asked them because for a while we were paying triple the price for biodigradable trash can bags too), but I refuse to believe it. I'm still optimistic that using biodigradable poop bags will at least come back to me as good karma...

If I lived in the middle of nowhere and had a compost far enough from anything I'd totally put it there. Seems like you can do it successfully EnviroWagg :: dog waste compost, dog poop compost

#19 ·
We do the grocery bag thing too. I like the keenex box idea as well. We have also found that the side door pockets on our car doors are an excellent place to store bags as well. (and are convenient for shoveling out the trash that our 2 kids leave in the care as well) I hate holey bags, grrr.....but a couple of knots, and they will do in a pinch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.