Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What Do You Feed Your Golden?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
food

Nutro Large Breed Senior. When I started using it, his coat and skin improved. I no longer had to give him glucosamine tablets either, because the food improved his joint health, which saved $80 a month. Many vets and pet stores recommend this food as a very reliable one. Some companies use substitutes every now and then which changes consistency, but Nutro always uses the best ingredients for your pet. There are many categories to choose from, depending on the size and age of your pet. Good luck....I hope that helped

Jessica :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nutro is very good foood, I know. I fet Dodger Nutro too, but now he has too eat special food and Nutro hasn't a special food for dogs with kidney problems :(. That's a pitty.... Now he eats Royal Canin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Home cooked

Both my babies get home cooked meals and raw bones.

My silky is allergic to many preservatives in tin and dry food so I have to be careful what she eats.

When I got Daniel, my golden, I just introduced him to the food and he hasn't looked back.

He is in brilliant condition and his coat is silky smooth.

Liss

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feed Nutro Large Breed Senior to my two senior goldens and Nutro large breed Adult to my other 5 goldens! They all love it!!! I also had a supplement called Nupro to there food, its a powder you can make into gravy (its like the missing link powder). It helps with skin,coat, joints etc. :)

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Amy, could you mabe create some thread with examples of BARF. I heard lot of good experiences and maybe we would swith Kia and Lila on this diet for a while to see if it makes any difference.
Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joe said:
Amy, could you mabe create some thread with examples of BARF. I heard lot of good experiences and maybe we would swith Kia and Lila on this diet for a while to see if it makes any difference.
Joe
Will do. I'll just collect a bit more information, and ask my mother for some examples while we are on the phone (which we are currently), and post it up. =)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Austin eats a brand called Solid Gold- his coat is very nice since we switched and we believe he has some allergies, so this food contains no wheat, he also gets wheat free cookies. (it's a plain brown bag- but i put them right into a container when i bring them home - the name escapes me.)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We use Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Seems to work on Mojo's coat which goes wonky at times. Both dogs still have very dry skin though.

·
Must be gold
128 Posts
Home cooked meals with raw veggies and raw bones...:wave:

Mojosmum, try adding in fish oil for your dog and see the difference in coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I currently feed Canidae, but Jack really hates it. He was ok at first, but now he goes to the point of starving himself. To finish up the bag I am currently mixing it with some Pedigree soft dog food, but even with that he is not enjoying it. I really want to try home cooked meals, but I'm so worried he wont get all the nutrients he needs that way. HELP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Diane said:
I currently feed Canidae, but Jack really hates it. He was ok at first, but now he goes to the point of starving himself. To finish up the bag I am currently mixing it with some Pedigree soft dog food, but even with that he is not enjoying it. I really want to try home cooked meals, but I'm so worried he wont get all the nutrients he needs that way. HELP
Well.. it's not home-cooked, but i started a thread with an overview of barf diet options.. but whether it be homecooked, or BARF, you really should do a lot of research..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I would love to know about BARF as well. Thank you, Amy. Besides a Golden mom and son, I have a little squeaky toy Llasa Apso/Shitzu who is allergic to everything. Too much protein and she just about chews her skin off. Paisley, our Golden mom is getting her coat and feathers back from the drain of motherhood. We're following the vet's instructions on supplements, but would love to know more about a better regular way of eating.

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts