Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In South Florida, we have a giant toad called the Bufo. These toads are often deadly to dogs/pets. They usually appear around dawn and again at dusk. Lots of rain can bring them out in the masses. Goldens are natural chasers and unfortunately are often victims to these horrible (and ugly) toads. Having made two trips in the last several years to pet emergency, I thought I would give a "heads up" on the problem. There are so many people that vacation in South Florida with their pets.......hopefully this is useful info. Here is a link with a photo........http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/frogs/bufo_marinus.htm

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
Oh yea, Fran... and their are not just in Florida... we had them in Hawaii growing up except we called them cane toads. They have deadly cane toads in Australia also...
Here is another article about these poisonous creatures and dogs/cats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cant think of many reasons that I like to live in the U.K. but that as got to be one of them dont think them toads live over here.
They sound like a real problem I have enough trouble stopping my two chasing foxes and squirrels at the moment let alone chasing toads.

Ron & THE BOYS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts