Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. What plush type toys (ie soft to the feel in the mouth) do you recommend for strong chewers/shredders? My new adoptee would like a lovey i think but nothing we have is sturdy enough for him. He just defluffs and desqueekers them in nothing flat,then shreds the outer shell. Fun and all but not good for him nor does it give him the somehting to carry and love. We have a massive rawhide bone he carries but it does hurt when dropped on my broken toe! I'd like a SOFT but STRONG type toy for him. Ideas?
Thank you!
Sarah

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another member here, Jamm, suggested these HuggleHounds : Allure Pet Products LLC

I bought the rabbit (kind of looks like roadkill) but it is very tough, my 3 have yet to destroy it and they are notorious for destroying everything.
Ohmigoodness he'd FLIP for the squirrel: Hugglehounds Little Feller Squirrel - Gray - - DogToys.com

Oh but if I'm trying to diminish his prey drive am I supposed to NOT give him his own squirrel??????????? Or might that help him feel satisfied???????

this prey drive thing is new territory for me!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
My Lincoln is a heavy duty chewer. He has managed to desqueak and defluff every toy we've bought him except for...........his beloved fleece rope!!! That is the one thing he carries around constantly and will not chew it. You can get them in various sizes or if you're crafty, you can make your own.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
is this the one you got?
Amazon.com: HuggleHounds Harvey the Rabbit Dog Toy - X-Large*****: Pet Supplies

Duncan would FLIP for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's strong?
That's it. They all love it, they don't treat it as prey, I doubt they realize it is supposed to be a rabbit :)
Actually they just carry it around, play tug, chew on it and wonder why he won't come apart. I just throw it in the washer and give it back to them, it has been very sturdy. You may want to check with Jamm to see how her stuffed one held up.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have given up, they destroy everything. One grabs one end and the other grabs the other end and "shake, shake, tug, tug" and that's it!! So I get inexpensive toys and let them have at it. I also use heavy upholstery thread and do a LOT of sewing.... :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
I gave up on fabric, too :( Tucker is a non stop chewer. He loves his nylabones so we just leave him with those. Occasionally we will get a $1 rope from petsmart but it usually lasts about 45 seconds. I like the idea of a fleece rope though maybe we will make one of those. He has a fleece blanket he has had since his whelping box days, and that one has managed to stay in one piece, though it is strictly his "car toy," and only gets to play with it during car rides. We will give it a shot though!

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Honestly, I have not been able to find a soft/fabric toy that can withstand Bug :( I have bought some really tough ones, but she manages to rip them to pieces in short order. The longest lasting have been the pentapulls. Eventually she managed to destuff the heads and chew on the "legs" but they are still recognizable.

I feel bad too, because Creed loves soft toys and never chews them. He had a huge octopus that he loved (he even slept with it) but I forgot to put it up once and Bug shredded it in literally minutes :(

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Here too--no fabric withstands Jaro's teeth. He loves then and I keep buying and just take them away when he gets them too beat up--and only while supervised. Two things that work best are the skineeze--the stuffless toys. He gets the squeakers out very soon and then I take them and cut the squeakers out and give them back and he still plays with them. The other thing I use a lot is braided fleece rope type. You can buy them or go the fabric store and buy some fleece (this is not woven--sort of like felted) cut big strips and braid. You can also find the fleece blankets for $15 or so and cut them up--that will make a ton of rope tugs. Now Jaro does chew the ends off and then I cut them off and retie the braid. The advantage here is that the fleece comes off in pieces not strings and the strings are more dangerous to ingest.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
I buy some of the www.dogtuff.com stuffed animals. Gunner has not been able to chew the red lobster. Anything with an open mouth he seems to be able to chew a little hole in it but hasn't destroyed it. Any other kind of stuffed animal he destroys.

I purchase them from www.amazon.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts