Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter left open the closet and Shianna got into a box of chocolate teddy grahams, not sure how much she ate because it wasn't a full box. I called the vets office and she said she should be o.k being that it wasn't bakers choc but just look out for diarrhea and vomiting. Should I really worry like I am?
 

·
Missing Selka So Much
Joined
·
17,303 Posts
I wouldn't think choc. teddy grahams would have THAT much choc. I'd just watch her, call the vet if any vomiting. Hope she's OK.
 

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Put your mind at ease....I suspect there is very little cocoa powder in teddy grahams...probably more food coloring then actual cocoa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
There is very little chocolate in them so it shouldn't be a problem. Milly ate the bowl of Halloween candy one year (twix and snickers) the problem is she ate the wrappers with the candy, but the milk chocolate in them was not at a all a problem for her. It's the bakers chocolate/cocoa/dark chocolates that can kill them. Avoiding all chocolate is always good, but sometimes they get into things they shouldn't. Just keep an eye out, like the vet said, and if you see any problems go in for a visit.
 

·
Susan
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
Our English setter ate a bunch of Easter candy one year. That was before we knew about chocolate being bad for dogs so we were more worried about the foil! He was fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,870 Posts
chocolate teddy grahams are my favorite and my dogs always get a couple evry time I eat them. There really is very little chocolate in the at all. And golden retriever sized dogs would be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
my lab Dan (RIP) ate all but 3 pieces in a large, double layer valentine heart (we'd already eaten the 3 pieces) --

if I knew about the things dogs shouldn't injest when I had Dan I would have had massive vet bills - can some dogs' systems handle bad and/or massive amounts of edibles better than others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
My lab Chance, who has since passed away (not from eating chocolate) got into plenty of chocolate throughout his life. I remember him eating boxes of after-eights and smarties - cardboard and all. The worst was when my cousin sent a christmas present package by mail and we didn't know it contained a canaster of premium hot chocolate. Chance broke into the living room and when I found him there was a huge mess of chocolate powder mixed with dog drool all over the rug. But he never got sick from it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
I've kept the following link bookmarked on my computer just in case we have a chocolate emergency. Maybe others will find this helpful too. A couple of years ago I spent Christmas Eve afternoon at an emergency vet hospital and half the calls coming into the front desk were questions regarding dogs eating chocolate.

http://netpet.batw.net/articles/choc.tox.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for making me feel more at ease. So far she is doing fine.
 

·
Nancy
Joined
·
7,493 Posts
I wouldn't worry. There probably isn't much real chocolate in them anyway.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top