Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Bella--are you afraid of this dog? It sounds to me like you are, if so this is not a good tone to set so early. It is not good for you or the dog.

For me personally, if one of my puppies bit me, I don't care how controversial the alpha roll is, that is where they would find themselves. It would be a reflex.

I really encourage you to talk to a good trainer. It is amazing how much good it does. The trainer can observe you two together and tell you what you are doing right and how you feed the problem.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
This whole story sounds just like Morgan story.........Bella knows your afraid of her.... she is winning the battle.........

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Thanks for all the advice--I understand what you are telling me but when you say I should get in her face and control her, how do I do that when she is trying to bite me? I am not about to grab her mouth or the bone and risk having those teeth chew into my hand. .

But that's exactly what she is trying to accomplish by biting or snapping--for you to be afraid and jump back. By retreating and going to get the gloves, Bella is thinking, "Oh yeahhhhhhhhhh, that worked." This isn't a vicious dog, and she's only a puppy... so get right in there when she snaps or growls and quickly reprimand her for her behavior. Move towards her, not away. In a pack, a dominant dog isn't going to retreat over anything.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Thanks for all the advice--I understand what you are telling me but when you say I should get in her face and control her, how do I do that when she is trying to bite me? I am not about to grab her mouth or the bone and risk having those teeth chew into my hand. Thats why I had to use the gloves. I cannot have this dog be a biter, I have too many small children visit here so I must get this situation under control and soon. Bella has a lot of good points about her, she can sit, lay down, she stays with me when we walk, but this possessive thing has to stop.
The whole thing is very intimidating so don't feel alone. When Lucky growled at me as a puppy I automatically latched on to his coller at the back and pulled him back.

Lucky also went after my girl once (as a puppy) and I did the same thing...grabbed his collar at the back.

After that experience, I stopped just giving him stuff. Anything he got from me was given only after he knew it was mine.

When Lucky was a big dog, he growled at my son once when Louis got to near his bowl. I think he didn't even know he was growling...it wasn't a vicious event like in his puppy months. More of a low rumbling as Lucky focused on his food.

I sent Lucky to bed and he obediently trotted off to his crate...so I didn't have to do any extreme measures. I called him back and Louis sat with him as he ate. That was our last experience (about 5 months ago) and the kids are around him all the time as he eats. They can pet him, push him over to get something. I have such a small kitchen...you can't help but push that dog over.

It sounds like Bella is no more "vicious" then Lucky and probably less so.

I don't bother with rawhides anymore...for a lot of reasons including that he threw up a half eaten one the last time he was allowed one. But when he did have a rawhide I decided when and how long he was going to chew it. I didn't just leave it around .......

Just put in your mind that you control everything and try to communicate that to Bella in everything you do. Just like kids, dogs need there boundries clearly laid out.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I agree about moving towards the dog...but not putting you face in hers......what about what we did with Morgan...... let her drag a leash around and when he snapped he got corrected with a pop of the leash...... She is trainable.....Like I said Before Morgan is going on 2 months of not snapping anymore no matter what you do to him....... FIND YOURSELF A GOOD TRAINER.... they will be able to work with you and Bella ........ Please go read Morgans story... his moms name was Merlins mom

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
But that's exactly what she is trying to accomplish by biting or snapping--for you to be afraid and jump back. By retreating and going to get the gloves, Bella is thinking, "Oh yeahhhhhhhhhh, that worked." This isn't a vicious dog, and she's only a puppy... so get right in there when she snaps or growls and quickly reprimand her for her behavior. Move towards her, not away. In a pack, a dominant dog isn't going to retreat over anything.
I'm thinking that if you feel you need the gloves, have the gloves with you when she gets the treat.....don't go get them later. In the time you're taking to get the gloves, she's thinking she's winning the battle.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
I used to watch how Woody would correct Cosmo when he would jump up on me. Woody did not allow this behavior from Cosmo--but he never stared him down face to face (thinking in dog language this is begging for a fight) Woody would approach him from the side and bump him in the shoulder with his shoulder. Cosmo knew what this meant--right away.

Some of the things my trainer taught me:
never step over a dog--make them move--the alpha dog does not walk around the lesser dogs.

when a dog jumps up on you wanting attention without being invited--this is alpha behavior--since it is the pack leader that gets the grooming by the others.

And NEVER let a dog ignore your command.

When you want to take something from her mouth you can gently but firmly push on her shoulder--she will know what that means--then take it from her.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
I used to watch how Woody would correct Cosmo when he would jump up on me. Woody did not allow this behavior from Cosmo--but he never stared him down face to face (thinking in dog language this is begging for a fight) Woody would approach him from the side and bump him in the shoulder with his shoulder. Cosmo knew what this meant--right away.
That seems so funny......Cosmo never jumps on us... When anyone comes home, he stays back while Samson freaks out (yeah, he barks in excitement...but stays back and waits his turn). Woody must have taught him well...

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
Now I miss Woody....lol. I can't believe his owners left him tied to the door of his vets office...he was such a good dog.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
For the record---I am NOT afraid of Bella (btw--my real name is Sandy), I was just taken aback with the growling and showing her teeth. She is very submissive when I tell her to sit,come to me. And she is a great hiker, last night when we got to the car, I remotely opened the side door and she jumped in before I even got there. So you see, there is hope. I have decided to just not give her those special bones anymore since there is such an issue with them. I don't have any problem with her with milkbones or rawhide, those I can take from her mouth. I have to tell you something funny ---we were having a back and forth exchange (Bella and me) in the car in the first couple of weeks. She would sit in the drivers seat when I was in the store and when I came back, she was very vocal about not moving over. So I did the alpha thing, grabbed her neck, and told her "I am the driver, you are the passenger" and shoved her over. That went on a few times, well now she automatically gets over to other seat. So, see, I am in control (for the most part).

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
For the record---I am NOT afraid of Bella (btw--my real name is Sandy), I was just taken aback with the growling and showing her teeth. She is very submissive when I tell her to sit,come to me. And she is a great hiker, last night when we got to the car, I remotely opened the side door and she jumped in before I even got there. So you see, there is hope. I have decided to just not give her those special bones anymore since there is such an issue with them. I don't have any problem with her with milkbones or rawhide, those I can take from her mouth. I have to tell you something funny ---we were having a back and forth exchange (Bella and me) in the car in the first couple of weeks. She would sit in the drivers seat when I was in the store and when I came back, she was very vocal about not moving over. So I did the alpha thing, grabbed her neck, and told her "I am the driver, you are the passenger" and shoved her over. That went on a few times, well now she automatically gets over to other seat. So, see, I am in control (for the most part).
Well for the record...I myself was terrified of having to deal with those incidents. But everytime it happened I reacted properly. But I always felt it was a crap shoot....what I would do the next time?

It sounds like you have the idea. Keep it up and by the time she is grown her "place" will be ingrained..

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would say that just not giving her the bone anymore is not a good solution. What happens if she finds one laying in the yard somewhere, or if a friend/neighbor thinks they are being nice and gives her one w/out you knowing?
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is Bitter apple spray. It will make ANY dog drop anything instantly. No yelling needed, no biting, and it gets the point across.

·
Amber's Owner
2,100 Posts
I would say that just not giving her the bone anymore is not a good solution. What happens if she finds one laying in the yard somewhere, or if a friend/neighbor thinks they are being nice and gives her one w/out you knowing?
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is Bitter apple spray. It will make ANY dog drop anything instantly. No yelling needed, no biting, and it gets the point across.
Again I agree! You mentioned this BITTER APPLE SPRAY before but I can't find it locally. This would be perfect to get Amber to drop YAKKI staff during her daily 3 walks!! Tonight she vomited for the first time and it doesn't look like her food? What is it? No idea!!

I don't like buying online product but I am gonna pay a visit to GOOGLE about this APPLE BITTER SPRAY.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Augie loves the taste of Bitter Apple. He will happily lap it up wet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Augie loves the taste of Bitter Apple. He will happily lap it up wet.
Are you serious!? Wow. Well, it will drop Lucy to the ground everytime. Just holding up the bottle for her to see will make her roll over on her back.

I've seen it in pretty much every pet store. Otherwise, you can get it on EBay or Amazon too. Amazon.com: bitter apple spray

41 - 58 of 58 Posts