Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been said before but I figure it's always good to be reminded. It is so important to get your dogs microchipped because it saves a lot of time and heartache if your dog ever gets lost. But that microchip isn't of much use if it isn't registered!

My mother was walking one of her dogs yesterday and noticed a golden retriever just standing in the middle of the street. Some cars went by and just beeped at the dog but the dog wouldn't move. My mother and another kind lady who was driving by tried to help get the dog off the street. My mother ended up calling my dad to come by with the car, a leash, and a collar (thankfully they still had some of Misty's old collars and leashes). They ended up bringing the dog back to their house and exchanged numbers with the other woman since they wanted to do everything they could to find the dogs owner.

My mother ended up calling me and I knew the best bet was to check to see if he had a microchip. So DH and I picked up the dog and brought him to the shelter to see if he had a microchip. I was ecstatic when a microchip was picked up on the scanner! I knew he would go right back to his owner. Unfortunately, that microchip was not registered! The shelter made a few phone calls trying to trace it, but with no such luck. So all they could do was take the dog in and hope that the owners would call looking for him.

Thankfully, this story had a happy ending. The woman who helped my mom with the dog ended up calling her son. Her son spent the next hour or so driving around the neighborhood looking for people who were out walking and could possibly be looking for a lost dog. Luckily, he found a man who was out looking for his lost golden retriever. Since my mom and this woman were in contact, my mom was able to tell her that the dog was currently at the local shelter and so the son let the man know where his dog was. Sure enough, I later got a call from the shelter that the dog went home.

I hope this story is a good enough reminder to get your dogs microchipped and have those microchips registered!

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
@registration - is that if the dog is chipped by the owner at the vet or other place?

Prior to me mailing in my $18 to switch registeration for the chip to my name/address, he was registered with his breeder's name/address.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am so glad that the owner was found. Hopefully the shelter told him to register the chip.

It only costs $16 to register the chip for life. Why even get it if you won't do that? I know there are a lot of people who don't register it.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm glad this story has a happy ending! Bless you and the other woman for helping this guy find his family.

Ike's chipped and registered. The info stating in case of injury call my Vet and if lost, call me. Also, don't forget to have your Vet scan the chip during your Vet visits, just to make sure it's still working. Rarely, a chip might move or stop working.

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@registration - is that if the dog is chipped by the owner at the vet or other place?

Prior to me mailing in my $18 to switch registeration for the chip to my name/address, he was registered with his breeder's name/address.
Yes. We had Chester's microchip done at the vet and if we hadn't registered it, there would be no information on it. But Wendy is actually registered with the rescue. We're actually required to leave the registration with the rescue so we're not going to register it with our home address. Even if we were allowed to switch it and never got around to it, at least she's registered somewhere. But if you were to do it yourself at the vet or somewhere else, it would be much harder to trace!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Is there a universal microchip? I thought not every chip could be read by all scanners.

I have been looking into it since Buddy is an escape/artist runner- Able to open wood door and storm door if both are not locked but he won't go over an 18 inch baby gate. I want to get the best one for him. I'm just worried about if he gets out when no one is home. When is is escapes from the house we are on his heels because he won't come when called yet when he runs during play or training outside on 100 ft lead he will come back as soon as he is called.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Is there a universal microchip? I thought not every chip could be read by all scanners.

I have been looking into it since Buddy is an escape/artist runner- Able to open wood door and storm door if both are not locked but he won't go over an 18 inch baby gate. I want to get the best one for him. I'm just worried about if he gets out when no one is home. When is is escapes from the house we are on his heels because he won't come when called yet when he runs during play or training outside on 100 ft lead he will come back as soon as he is called.
The one scanner we have only reads a certain kind of microchip, but if the scanner cannot read one, it will still tell you there is a chip. You just can't get the number. My vet uses the home again chip.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
What is the best microchip?

What is th best microchip? There are so many which is the best or most frequently used one?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My Registration was included in the price of $50.00 for the micro chip. The vet sent in all the info. I was emailed by the microchip company that the registration was complete.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The one scanner we have only reads a certain kind of microchip, but if the scanner cannot read one, it will still tell you there is a chip. You just can't get the number. My vet uses the home again chip.[/QUOTE]

Yes this is the one my vet used as well.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
I'll check the company name when I get home, but my guy is 4 years old (well his 4th birthday is on Friday) and his chip has always been right where the breeder put it.

He has been scanned at our vet and various other places (eye vet, etc), and they have no problem pulling up his information.

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts

Register the microchip with your name and phone numbers, you need to contact the chip company and change it if it had other contact information registered on it before you got him. So you get the call if he his picked up and scanned.

Most of the time when a dog is adopted from a shelter they implant the chip and then hand the registration form to the new owner - who never fills it out and mails it in to the chip company.

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
I'll check the company name when I get home, but my guy is 4 years old (well his 4th birthday is on Friday) and his chip has always been right where the breeder put it.

He has been scanned at our vet and various other places (eye vet, etc), and they have no problem pulling up his information.
When they pull up his information, do they get your name and contact info, or the breeders?

·
Premium Member
18,409 Posts
Chips and scanners are supposed to be universal now. I know there was a time that the companies were getting in trouble because the scanners were not reading all the various brands, but the "industry" supposedly got together and solved that issue.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
When they pull up his information, do they get your name and contact info, or the breeders?
He was initially registered by the breeder with their information. It cost me $18 to switch to my name and address. And yes, it pulls up my info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts