Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my boy Max (who will be 7 in two weeks and runs like the wind, in very good physical condition) for a long walk today, nearly 6 miles. The weather was poor, upper 30's and misty. On the walk he ran and ran and ran (we were on the beach, which we had to ourselves). When we came home, I towel dried him as best I could. For the initial time after returning he seemed fine, came over to me to pet him, etc., then eventually went and laid down.

Fast forward about 3-4 hours later. We're getting near bed time, so I call him to come to go to the bathroom. He stood up and was very unsteady on his feet. His front left shoulder seemed very stiff, and his back legs seemed to have trouble bearing his weight. He went out and went potty, and semi-trotted back to the door. It was definitely not a balance issue. He came inside and went straight up the stairs, no wobbling side to side or anything like that.

His limbs are all warm, and he's breathing completely normally. He didn't seem to be in any pain, neither when walking nor when I was pulling, bending, pushing, twisting his legs, etc. He gave no indication at all that he was in pain. He's also acting completely normal, lifting his leg to get his belly rubbed, etc.

He just seemed very stiff when he walked. Is it safe to assume he just overdid it in the cold and wet and just stiffened up when he laid down? It would seem these are probably just stiff muscles and/or cramping. We generally walk 3+ miles a day, but today it was six. And as I said, he did a lot of running. He's sound asleep on the bed now, and I'm thinking just let him rest and see how he's doing in the morning. I'm just looking for assurances that he's probably just stiff from all the exercise in the cold and wet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That sounds pretty normal to me after a heavy day of exercise. I had a golden mix years ago that would really tighten up after lots of exercise in the cold. She lived a good long life of 14 years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds pretty normal to me after a heavy day of exercise. I had a golden mix years ago that would really tighten up after lots of exercise in the cold. She lived a good long life of 14 years.
Thank you SO much! I've just never seen this before, so it really scared me. I also didn't pay any attention to how much water he drank after we got back, so he could also be dehydrated. I offered him water in bed and he had no interest. So I'll just let him rest and see how he's doing in the morning.

Thanks again, that really eases my mind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Giving him a gentle massage will help, if Tucker and I go that extra mile we get stiff too.
Yeah, I will do that. We doubled what we normally do today, and he was spry and energetic the whole time, so I didn't think we overdoing it too much, but I think it's fair to say we did. Thank you!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He may have overdid it alittle and is now paying for it by being stiff. The massage should help and just let him take it easy tomorrow. They just dont seem to know their limits sometimes. You might put a little chicken broth in his water tomorrow if he isnt drinking much to help get him to drink more.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I just think he over did it too. Carol is right, they don't seem to know their limitations when they are having fun. I know I always have to be careful with my guys at the first swim of the year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am THRILLED to report that Maxwell is doing just fine this morning. He went down the stairs at 50% instead of full-bore like he usually does, so he's still probably a bit sore, but he has no limp or stiffness at all, at least to the naked eye. I guess I learned a lesson. Thanks so much for everyone's comments and thoughts, I was rather scared for a bit there.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I was just thinking that he is close to my age in human years and I get stiff if I overdo it, too. LOL

I am glad he is better. I usually am too after a good night's rest.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Good to hear he's better. Based on the fact that the problem seemed pretty dispersed, I would guess dehydration or hyponatremia might have played a role.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so glad everything is better. We had a similiar situation with our younger golden twice, both after extreme exertion at a dog related event. In both cases he had a bout of rhabdomyolysis. It took him a few days to get over his stiffness. We got very concerned when he urinated what we thought was blood. We took him to the Emergency Animal Clinic. All his lab work came back normal but one of the vets had done work at a horse racetrack and diagnosed him with this painful condition. He was urinating myoglobin, muscle pigment. Their recommendation was rimadyl and strict rest for a few days, followed up by another blood test to insure no kidney damage. This is a very rare condition thankfully, but your symptoms reminded me of our episodes.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Do you have him on a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement?? They really help with keeping joints lubricated, especially as they age. Cosequin, Dasuquin, Glycoflex are all good brands. And, personally, I've found the best prices on amazon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to hear he's better. Based on the fact that the problem seemed pretty dispersed, I would guess dehydration or hyponatremia might have played a role.
Yeah, he's just fine. I let him be on Monday even though he clearly wanted to go out, but we went for a trot yesterday - albeit a brief one - and he was running again just like normal. Just a little lesson for dad :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts