Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November, my 2-year-old lab died of subaortic stenosis. I decided that I was ready for a new pup in my life, and adopted a 16-week-old golden mix from a rescue organization. What am I in store for with a golden pup? How will it compare to a lab puppy (that's what I have experience with)? Any advice would be great!

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Every puppy has a different personality but in general, in my opinion, both breeds have the same traits. Congratulations on the new arrival and a big thanks for rescuing a pup.
PS. These puppy's are known to commondeer childrens saucer chairs!!!!

Attachments

·
Kristy
9,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find it a wonderful resource over the next year or two (I know I have!) Please post photos, we love to see them! Would love to see your new baby and the one you lost in November, I'm so sorry that you went through that.

I second the thought that you probably won't find too much difference, break out the vacuum cleaner and the baby gates! Will you be signing up for puppy class with him? I can't tell you enough that your golden will be every bit as smart as your lab, and you'll be amazed at what he can learn.

Can't wait to see pix! Welcome!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Golden Retrievers are very similar to labs. Labs tend to be a but more energetic, and can easily gain weight if not exercised where as a golden has a fast metabolism. I'm guessing you already have experienced his huge urge to bite. golden retriever puppies love to bite and nibble on EVERYTHING because thats there way of exploring and understanding different things. Make sure to buy a good brush, such as the furminator. goldens do tend to shed year long so make sure you give a good brushing once a week. They can get matted behind the ears and hindquarters. if you have any more questions you can email me at [email protected] . hope i helped.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Golden Retrievers are very similar to labs. Labs tend to be a but more energetic, and can easily gain weight if not exercised where as a golden has a fast metabolism. I'm guessing you already have experienced his huge urge to bite. golden retriever puppies love to bite and nibble on EVERYTHING because thats there way of exploring and understanding different things. Make sure to buy a good brush, such as the furminator. goldens do tend to shed year long so make sure you give a good brushing once a week. They can get matted behind the ears and hindquarters. if you have any more questions you can email me at [email protected] . hope i helped.
Use great care with a furminator it can damage your dog's coat. I brush my dogs daily more for bonding than hair removal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! Lots of photos will be needed! lol

As for the difference between lab and golden..the only thing that sticks out in my mind from when we were deciding on what breed of gundog to have (he's worked in the feild as well as a part of the family) and our last dog being a lab cross was that GR's mature alot slower (in general) and they NEEEEEEED to be with you at all times!

You'll need to take in account that hes a mix too, Our lab was part collie and even though he looked very lab like (apart from his white bib) he never chewed, hated water and wasnt that keen on retrieving....he was very collie like in behaviour and a farmer friend of ours said he would have made a grand sheepdog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts