Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son adopted an 8 month old kItten from the SPCA in September. Luigi had been born at the shelter. He has herpes virus of the eye that he is being treated for. Last week he started having problems walking on his back legs. An xray was not conclusive as to an injury but he does show a pain response at the number 13 verterbrea. The vet said that there is a good possibility that he has a fatal spine disease and that if his symptoms don't get btter in a few days with meds they are ruling out an injury as a cause of the symptoms.

Luigi is such a loving kitten. He gives big hugs and kisses and has been a great help to my son who is struggling with anxiety and depression issues. I am so afraid that this will be a huge setback for him if he has to put the cat down. Here is a pic of our little sweetie.

P1010578.jpg

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Oh sweet Luigi, please get well. So sweet that he is helping your son. I hope he recovers and is walking normally soon.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Prayers being sent for you son and his sweet kitten.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sending healing thoughts and strength.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many prayers for Luigi and your son. He is a very pretty, sweet looking kitty.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for your son and his sweet kitten.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
What a sweet cute little kitty.
Prayers and good thoughts for your son and Luigi.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
By any chance is the kitten declawed?

Gives hugs and kisses...... awww how sweet. I found a cat or rather he found me at a house that the owners moved and left the cat. I picked him up in the driveway and the first thing he did was put his arms around my neck and snuggled in.... I was in love. The neighbors told me that I was welcome to him and I took him home. My vet estimated him to be around 8 months, he was neutered and assumed he had his shots but the vet gave him vaccination anyway... Every time I came home Sandy would come to me and I pick him up and got a hug, every time. I had this cat for 8 years he died of kidney failure at 9 years old. Sandy was one of the best cats I had and was the first cat I could call MINE!! Thoughts going to your sons kitten for both their Wellbeing.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind thoughts.Yes Deb Bayne, that is exactly what Luigi does. He put his paws around your neck and hugs and then kisses you on the face. He is too precious. Unfortunaely there is no improvement yet bit my son is having a heck of a time getting him to take his meds no matter what method he tries. He is force feeding him the liquid steroid. The vet is supposed to be calling today so we'll see what she says. I am praying he will be ok.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I will keep Luigi and your son in my prayers.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Luigi

Praying for Little Luigi-he sounds like a doll. can the pharmacy make some flavored medication that he will take?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending lots of healing thoughts for Luigi.
I hope he pulls through

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Hoping to see some improvement... what a beautiful cat.

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's another pic of Luigi taken shortly after he was adopted. He is still not showing any improvement but not getting worse either. He will be going back in to the vet either today or next tuesday so I will keep you posted. I am thankful that he will still be with us on Christmas.

0827011620.jpg

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I was just going to suggest the flavored meds too. My vet said he could make Sam's hyperthyroid meds in a special cat flavored medicine like fish or beef at a people pharmacy that compounds prescriptions.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
More prayers for Luigi and your son. Our angel kitty Tess would hug just like that. If I made kissy noises she would always give a kiss...

·
Super Moderator
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We figured out a way to get the meds in him by crushing the pills, mixing with water and using a syringe to put it down his throat. Unfortuately he is not improving at all and actually getting worse so I think he will need to be euthanized. He will go back into the vet probably tomorrow. I am heartbroken as he is such a sweet little guy and only 9 months old. The vet said she had a feeling he was very sick even before the lameness set in due to the herpes of the eye not clearing up with the steroid drops. I told my son he needs to focus on giving Luigi a wonderful home for the past few months as he would have died at the shelter. Luigi shows him his gratitude every day and is so bonded to him. Please continue to pray for him.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Big hugs for you, your son and Luigi. Hoping for a miracle for your sweet kitty.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts