Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my 1 year old (born 11-1-10) golden, Gusto aka Gus, was diagnosed with lymphoma. We don't know what kind yet, but it is in his spinal fluid, lymphnodes and splene that we know of. It all started about 10 days ago with a slight decrease in appetite and a little drop in energy. It continued to get worse (including fever) until this past Sunday when I called our vet and she, being such an amazing vet, met Gus and me up at her office. Mostly due to his age, there was no thought about cancer at that point, so he was put on broad-spectrum antibiotics and pain relievers. When that didn't seem to be helping by Tuesday evening, I took him back on Wednesday and he was switched to a different antibiotic thinking it may be a tick-borne disease. He also had bloodwork done and a urinalysis.

Wednesday evening our vets stopped by partly to check on him, partly to check on my family's other golden and still thought he looked decent, but later that night he started to decline and we worried that he might be getting dehydrated so I took him to the emergency vet.

Yesterday (Thursday), my parents and sister accompanied me as I met with the internist. We started with an EKG and abdomonal ultrasound. The EKG wasn't too remarkable but the ultrasound showed the enlarged lymphnodes and splene. They aspirated both and initially they looked good but were sent off to the pathologist, so we moved to the next step to try to get a diagnosis. He had a spinal tap yesterday afternoon. His fever had finally subsided that morning and he ate out of my hand last night while at the vet.

Today, he wouldn't eat well so we made some homemade chicken and rice which he loved. The diagnosis came in late this afternoon and we went ahead and did a bone marrow aspiration to see if it's in his bones and gave him his first round of chemo.

I am completely heartbroken and still in shock. They haven't mentioned doing any sort of surgery to remove his lymphnodes, but I think they believe it is in most of his lymphnodes although I don't know that for sure. I am posting mainly to ask for prayers for a miraculous recovery - I believe he can be healed miraculously and get back to his regular spunky self! I know we all feel this way, but Gus is truly a special guy - the most loving and sweet boy and still just a babe!

The vets I think are equally surprised, my vet said she's never seen it in a fella this young. I am praying that his youth will contribute to a wonderful recovery! I welcome any and all prayers, hints, tips, pointers, whatever you've got, I'll take! I'll try just about anything to save him, I love him more than I thought I ever could.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Gusto getting sick. I'm sending positive thoughts for a full recovery. I know how hard it is when our beloved furry kids get sick.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of Gusto's diagnosis......you're right, he's just a baby!

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Gusto!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for a complete a complete recovery. We're going through the same thing right now. You might want to check out Meggie's thread. Long time survivor. It gave us a lot of hope and we hope it will do the same for you. God bless :)

Meg's thread

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
He is so young....I am sorry. Sending healing thoughts his way and stength to you both.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I have no experience to share... no words of wisdom that will ease your pain... but there are many, many people who have been through this and can help you through whatever lies ahead. Many, many people who understand... and care.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I am so sad to read about the diagnosis you received for Gus. I truly hope that he can fight this and beat it!! He is a very young boy and I hope this will be in his favor to stay strong. You have found a great place here on the forum. A lot of people to give you support and advice. I wish you all the best in your battle to save your boy!! Thoughts and prayers will be with Gus, you and your family!!!!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Healing thoughts and prayers for Gusto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the support and prayers! As we get the full diagnosis, I'll be updating and asking questions. My profile picture is a great shot of Gusto from this summer at the beach, just after his favorite activity - swimming!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so sorry that you and Gus are going through this. He is such a baby, it's so sad that he is faced with this diagnosis. Will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers as you fight this terrible disease.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OMG... so sorry Gusto's Mom..... So unfairly young.
My first Golden (Misha) was diagnosed with lymphoma at age 6 and put up a valiant fight for 2 years on a chemo protocol. He was 8 yrs old when he crossed over the bridge....
Keeping you & Gusto in my thoughts and prayers....

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Gusto is beautiful and still puppy. Keep us updated. Prayers continued, we are here for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the support - it's nice to know prayers are going up for Gus all over the place. We don't have the full diagnosis yet, but the vet called today to tell us it's NOT in his bone marrow!!! We are even more hopeful now and so grateful for the answered prayer! Alleluia :)

Still praying for a complete recovery, continued healing, an excellent response to the chemo and for an extra long remission if he isn't cured! I'll continue to be in touch as we learn the full diagnosis - he has his first official visit to the oncologist on Thursday. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm so sorry to hear of all the rest of you that have gone through this already...I now understand how incredibly hard it is! Y'all too are in my prayers.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Every bit of good news is huge. Stay strong for Gusto. Your boy is in my prayers.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many many prayers for Gusto and your family. It's just so unfair for one so young. Please do keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts